We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 35 Posts
    I’ve some problems to see accentuated characters in the french installation page.
    The addition of the following line in the intall/index.php file correct the problem.
    header('content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8');
      Native french speaker
      • 7,075 Posts
      Quote from: poof65 at Jun 05, 2007, 04:30 PM
      I’ve some problems to see accentuated characters in the french installation page. The addition of the following line in the intall/index.php file correct the problem.
      header('content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8');

Hmmm, I didn’t experience this problem this is strange normally the french language file for the installer has its own utf-8 header...
      Can you tell me what’s in your installer language file ?

Check install/lang/french/french.inc.php

Line 66 should read

[tt]$_lang["encoding"] = ’utf-8’; //charset encoding for html header[/tt]

Quote from: wshawn at Jun 05, 2007, 04:36 PM
      The tar file does not have the correct permissions for my server evidently. So a direct pull of the file and tar xzf or unzip (depending on which files) does not work under any circumstances.

I had some issues too, did it this way

[tt]tar -xvzf modx-0.9.6.tar.gz[/tt]

and got all files with
      [tt]Owner : qmailq
      Group : spamd[/tt]

Let me quote Jason’s explanation

Are you extracting that as root? Root user always preserves tar permissions and ownership when extracting; you can use --no-same-permissions and --no-same-owner flags to prevent the extraction from preserving these things. Non-root users have these by default, reverting to current user and the current umask

I *did* untar as root with ssh, and didn’t apply the above mentionned flags... and that’s why it messed up my permissions...
      Hope it helps smiley
        .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
        • 35 Posts
        The line 66 in my french.inc.php file is like yours.

The $lang[’encoding’] is used here (in header.php)
        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo $_lang['encoding']?>" />

and is working fine, i have "content="text/html; charset=utf8" in the source code.

The problem is that the browsers i try (firefox and epiphany on linux) doesn’t care of meta headers in html source code but rather the http headers (in particularly the "Content-type" header) to know what encoding is used in the web page. When I look page informations, i can see that the encoding ISO-8859 is used by the browser to read the web page code.

And you, what web browser have you tried ?

Native french speaker
        • Whatever your MODx character encoding is set as will be used to set the header encoding. You can access this using the tag [(modx_charset)] or via the modx config, $modx->config[’modx_charset’]. Your template should then also use this tag to set the Content-Type meta element. I am guessing your database is running in latin1 but you are using a utf8 language file ?
            • 35 Posts
            I’ve no problem with my modx site, i am just reporting a problem with the installation script of modx 0.9.6.
              Native french speaker
            • Quote from: poof65 at Jun 05, 2007, 05:21 PM

I’ve no problem with my modx site, i am just reporting a problem with the installation script of modx 0.9.6.
              Oh, I see; I was misunderstanding what language files were being discussed...is there a bug report entered for this? If not, there needs to be...
                • 7,075 Posts
                @Poof65 : Could this be that the headers sent by your server is set as Latin1 by default (as are still lots of french server) ?
                If so using AddCharset in .htaccess could help...

.: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l&#39;outil id
                  • 35 Posts
                  I’ve searched a little in bug listing and i don’t have see this bug.

I’m not registered as bug reporter and i don’t want to do this now.

There is a clean way to correct this in adding
                  header('Content-type: text/html; charset=' . $_lang['encoding']);

under the line
                  require_once("lang.php");

or directly in lang.php

@davidm > i’ve tested the install script on my local server and on my lamp installation apache does not send encoding headers by default.
                  But with a little modification of the script there is a way to make it work even on misconfigured servers.
                    Native french speaker
                  • The installer simply needs to be setting the header based on the selected language encoding. It’s a simple bug with a simple fix and is not a problem with his Apache config.
                      • 31 Posts
                      Question: Do you’ve added any encoding conversion while adding UTF-8 support to 0.9.6?

I wanted to update from 0.9.5 to 0.9.6. My 0.9.5 is already running with UTF-8 and now it seems that some parts getting converted again and appear as ISO-8859-1 chars but in UTF-8 encoding.