We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 2 Posts
    Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me fix a bug i seem to have found within MODx v0.9.6.1p2

If I go into a page add some meta tags and hit save the meta tags are saved as expected.
    If I go back into the same page and modify a different aspect of the page (not the meta tags) and hit save the meta tags are lost

Currently everytime we need to update a page we have to write down all of our Meta Tag selections for that page and then re-select them before we resave our page to avoid them being lost. As you can imagine this is very frustraing, time wasting and annoying.

Is there a fix for this particular bug?? Or is this a planned fix for a future release of MODx?? Or is this something we can fix internally ourseleves?

Thanks a lot
    Rob Charlwood
    • I believe this has been fixed in the current subversion branch.

For what it’s worth, I would strongly advise using TVs to manage meta content, because it’s much more flexible and fast to use.

I’ll limit the discussion to meta-keywords and meta-descriptions for the time being, and pass on the debate about the intrinsic value of keywords (or lack thereof) in modern search engines, especially the big 3.

First, create [*meta-keywords*] and [*meta-description*]:
      [*] Type: textarea
      [*] Default value: the following, where "...default..." = your base set of keywords or your standard site description
      @INHERIT ...default...

Why do it this way?

Let’s say you really are concerned with managing a few key landing pages, and want all child pages to inherit the same values as their parent documents. With the solution above, you get that. Plus you don’t have to worry about messing with remembering to set a description manually for every page in your site (or keywords, for that matter).
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 2 Posts
        Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the quick reply and all your help. However we cannot currently contemplate the upgrade to the new version of MODx.

Could you point me in the direction of the modified file that fixes the issue as we would like to apply a patch instead.

Thanks again for your help
        Rob Charlwood
        • You would have to look for the subversion commit message. Unfortunately I don’t have time to go digging right now. Probably start somewhere around here:
          http://svn.modxcms.com/crucible/browse/modx/branches/0.9.6/manager
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 23 Posts
            rcharlwood,

I’ve found a workaround - something simple but it works smiley

Simply add a single Keyword (an individual keyword, can be anything - I would assume use your site Title). If your keywords field on the left (in your META settings for your page) is blank, for some reason it never makes it to the right box for META data.

Hope this helps smiley

Brad