We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 241 Posts
    Web Server:
    CentOS 5
    Apache 2.2.3
    PHP 5.1.6 (mod_php)

Database:
    MySQL 5.0.22

MODx:
    Clean new install with all of the default plugins selected

Browser/Client:
    Firefox 2.0.0.16
    Windows XP Pro with all service packs and updates

Here’s the problem. I carefully followed the install instructions. Copied the files into the root of the virtual host, changed all the files to be accessible by the apache group, change the write permissions of the asset folders and the config.inc.php file. Created a new MySQL user (with no privileges) and a new database called modx. Associated the new user with the db with all privileges.

But when i try to run install the process hangs on "Test DB Connection" or on "Creating connection to the database:". All other checks pass.
    There are no error messages, nothing. It just hangs there.

I’ve done some googling but there’s nothing.
    At this point i’m stumped and in great need of some pointers as to how to troubleshoot this.

Thanks in advance

Here’s the screenshot of what i get after clicking on "Test DB Connection":
      • 24,544 Posts
      Assuming that you followed all the steps correctly, the best guess is a corrupt download/upload. There are so many files involved that the odds aren’t that bad that one didn’t make it intact.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 241 Posts
        Re-downloaded the files. Tried unzipping them on both a Windows and a CentOS boxes. The result is the same. Are there any installation logs that can show me what the problem really is?
        Would it matter if i’m installing MODx on a virtual host side by side with 2 other SSL enabled virtual hosts?
        I’m running subversion and bugzilla on the same box.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem?
          • 241 Posts
          After a couple of days of troubleshooting i finally figured out what the problem was. It was caused by the fact that my server did not have php-mysql package installed. PHP and MySQL were installed separately and that’s why MySQL was working fine for Bugzilla (using Perl and DBI). And since PHP 5 by default is not compiled with MySQL support but instead requires the use of an extension mysql.so, which was missing, the whole thing was just sitting there without making a db connection.

Hope this will be useful to others.
            • 24,544 Posts
            Glad you got it sorted. You’d think an error message would have made an appearance.
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting