We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 216 Posts
    Hi,

I’ve tried several downloads, to differnt folders, but the zip file is immediately unresponsive when I right-click it for extraction. I’ve downloaded another zip file from elsewhere and there are no problems. I can only assume this zip file is corrupted.

Thanks.
      • 216 Posts
      I’ve manged to extract the files by instead using the unzipper utility from the menu, and it appears to be OK. However, I will have to wait in case there are some errors in the files.

Can someone confirm the problem with right-clicking the zip file?

Thanks.
        • 17 Posts
        I can conform. I had the same problem yesterday on an XP-desktop.

The error said it could not create a file - over and over again. This was with LzArc as well as Windows extraction utility. I downloaded three fresh download versions of the zip file and gave up.

I tried it today - on a Vista notebook - and it was OK. I’ll see if the issue continues with the XP-desktop later today.

Strange.
          The shallower you are, the more ground you cover.
          • 216 Posts
          Hi,

Yes, XP with me too. I tried several extraction utilities to no avail. As I said though, I could extract the file by opeing up a utility via the menu and drilling down to the zip file. Indeed, strange.
            • 216 Posts
            Hi,

I find it very odd that nothing has been done about this - not even an acknowledgment from the Modx team. Did I post about this to the wrong board? sad
              • 956 Posts
              There’s nothing wrong with it. I just downloaded and extracted it just for testing, and there were no problems whatsoever (using WinXP + WinRar). It can take a while to extract (approx. 1 1/2 minutes here), because there are 2234 files and 268 folders overall, but that depends mainly on your system (RAM etc.).
                • 216 Posts
                Hi,

Pragmatic reported the same problem with XP, but not Vista!

As soon as I right-click, the file becomes unresponsive (no dropdown menu appears and the CPU maxes-out until I kill the process). I’ve tried several extraction utilities and they all have the same problem. I downloaded the SMF forum zip file for comparison, and that extracted without a problem. The Modx zip will extract so long as right-click is not used. This is indeed very odd, but if this was just my computer, Pragmatic would not be similarly affected! Other zip files extract as I would expect.

I can mange to extract the file file by drilling down to the zip file with the extraction utility, but because it is behaving like a corrupted zip file, I cannot be sure that there or no problems within the extracted files.

2gig processor; XP; 1gig RAM. Several utilities for unzipping the file all fail similarly. I regularly unzip files 10 times the size of the modx file (it takes seconds). I have just downloaded Wayfinder from the repository, and this unzips without a problem. It is just the modx zip file, and it fails in the manner I have described. Dunno what else to say.
                  • 17 Posts
                  I tried to unpack the zip last night on XP and still could not extract. I got a similar can’t create folder or file error messages and had to kill the process as well.

Extracting each folder one at a time seemed to work, though.

Also it worked ok on my newer Windows Vista notebook (of all things) but karked in my older but still usable XP desktop.

I’m inclined to refresh my XP on my desktop this weekend.

Pragmatic
                    • 216 Posts
                    Pragmatic,

Have you tried extracting other zip files?
                      • 17 Posts
                      Other zip files seem OK.