We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 19 Posts
    First I apologize for my poor english. embarrassed

My site have a sistem of news working just fine.
    (Just look at www.emorbita.net, it´s in portuguese.)
    I discover MODx and it seems a good CMS, but my question is:
    It´s possible build a site with MODx using Cutenews service?
    How?

Thanks!
      • 4,205 Posts
      I guess you could by making cutenews into a module and then creating a custom snippet to display the news on a MODx page.
      However, I would recommend simply dropping cuteNews and recreating everything in MODx. MODx can reproduce everything I saw on the cutenews feature list and you would benefit from keeping it all in one solid environment.

[font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
        Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
        • 19 Posts
        Quote from: dev_cw at Mar 08, 2008, 01:51 PM

I guess you could by making cutenews into a module and then creating a custom snippet to display the news on a MODx page.
        However, I would recommend simply dropping cuteNews and recreating everything in MODx. MODx can reproduce everything I saw on the cutenews feature list and you would benefit from keeping it all in one solid environment.

If you think I must drop cutenews and you tell me MODx can do the same my next question is:
        What I need to do with MODx to have a news system on my site?
          • 4,205 Posts
          What I need to do with MODx to have a news system on my site?
          Here is a general description of the steps. A news system is basically a collection of documents, you can then add tags (ii think they are called categories in cutenews) to help group the news articles. Then you would use Ditto to display the news ’index’.

All the management (add/edit/publish news articles) could be done via the manager or in the front end with the help of a snippet like NEwsPublisher or FDM.

There are several features that you could count on like a search (AjaxSearch), user comment (Jot), image galleries (MaxiGallery) and so on.

And since MODx uses a database it will be faster and more reliable than the flat file system in cutenews.

This will be a bit of work but in the end you will have a very flexible and easy to maintain all-in-one system.
            [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
            Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
            • 19 Posts
            Well, I try some things in 110mb.com (my hosting service) and so far I haven’t had very positive results...

For example the blog that comes with the demo version not working, the NewsParserX give the message error:

« MODx Parse Error »
            MODx encountered the following error while attempting to parse the requested resource:
            « PHP Parse Error »

PHP error debug
            Error: file() [function.file]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration
            Error type/ Nr.: Warning - 2
            File: /www/110mb.com/o/m/e/u/s/i/t/e/omeusite/htdocs/modx/assets/snippets/newsparserx/newsparserx.inc.php
            Line: 426
            Line 426 source: $data = @file($this->URL) or die ("Could not open a feed called: " . $this->URL);
              • 956 Posts

Error: file() [function.file]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration

This means that PHP on your server is not allowed to access any URLs (fetch remote files, such as RSS newsfeeds). You can ask your hosting provider if they can change that setting for you. It’s not a MODx problem per se.
                • 19 Posts
                Quote from: ganeshXL at Mar 09, 2008, 12:59 PM

This means that PHP on your server is not allowed to access any URLs (fetch remote files, such as RSS newsfeeds). You can ask your hosting provider if they can change that setting for you. It’s not a MODx problem per se.

It´s possible making NewsParserX working without url access?
                Changing it´s code?
                How?
                  • 956 Posts
                  You should read this first:

http://www.110mb.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=30&nav=0

It looks like some standard functions are disabled in the free hosting plan, and you’ll be forced to upgrade:
                  http://www.110mb.com/upgrade-free-plan.php
                  RSS-fetching is one of those things you can’t do with the free acct.

Seriously, there are many solid webhosting packages available for just a few bucks per month. Why not move somewhere else?

If all you want to do is install MODx to learn, install it on your local PC. Use something like XAMPP or MAMP and don’t bother with hosting at all.
                  If you’re thinking about launching a business site, stay away from cheapo-hosting altogether. Those few bucks you think you’ll save are just not worth it in the long run.
                    • 19 Posts
                    Quote from: ganeshXL at Mar 09, 2008, 03:21 PM

RSS-fetching is one of those things you can’t do with the free acct.

Seriously, there are many solid webhosting packages available for just a few bucks per month. Why not move somewhere else?

With my account on 110mb.com I can display news with RSS services:
                    I use Feed4All...

I don´t moving to another host service because 110mb.com is fabulous, free, without adds, etc, etc, etc...
                    Check it better.

(Look at my site www.emorbita.net)

PS: I apreciate any kind of help, so thank you. wink