We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,611 Posts
    Well, backup your database before you do anything. Then browse through it using phpMyAdmin or something similar to see if it seems to be corrupted. If it is and you don’t have an earlier backup, then you don’t have much choice but to try to do some surgery on it to repair it.

As I understand it, the site cache file is created from the resources (snippets, templates, etc.) that you have stored in your database plus things like an index of site documents, etc. So if you have a corrupted entry in your database, it could be copied to your site cache and keep it from functioning properly. That’s the theory that motivated me to suggest that you check out your database contents anyway.

If you deleted the contents of the Ditto snippet from the database all you’d be doing is making that snippet temporarily inactive. If that fixed things, you could then go into the manager and paste the snippet code in there again and you’d be done. This wouldn’t affect any files on the server or ditto calls in your site at all.

But really the first step is to check out your database and see if it’s been corrupted, and if so how badly. Then it will be more clear what you need to do. Personally I wouldn’t overwrite files and do an upgrade install in this circumstance until I’d exhausted other options, but others may differ.
      "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
      • 13 Posts
      Database checked out clean.. going to back it up and attempt a reinstall of modx then try importing the old tables back in
        • 13 Posts
        Upgrade install fixed it all.. apparently there was other corrupted strings in some of the other php files from the crash for manager/config along with the cache. It’s all running as it was before the crash. Thanks a lot for all the input and help guys greatly appreciated.
          • 4 Posts
          Quote from: wiremuse at Mar 03, 2008, 07:54 PM

I am getting the following error in logs.. the site won’t even load just shows a blank white page for the index and I can not access the manager either same thing
          blank white page. There was a server crash I’m just wonder how it would effect this and would would return this error?

PHP Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /var/www/vhosts/naturalbridgecabinrental.com/httpdocs/assets/cache/siteCache.idx.php on line 1328

Quote from: fruitwerks at Mar 03, 2008, 07:56 PM

I would get into the server and delete the siteCache.idx.php file, or move it to a different name.

Good Luck

Just encountered this on my server. The problem happened just after I clicked to resubmit a page after it timed out - while editing the site via the manager. I probably made a bad choice (resubmitting after it failed to respond) which could have caused/contributed to the problem but it is a test site (restored from production for development work).

I renamed the siteCache.idx.php file and cleared the cache using:
          http://site.name/manager/index.php?a=26 (obviously site.name is not my actual site name)
          The link to clear the cache came from opening the link to clear cache in another window - from a different modx site. I then replaced the site name and it worked.

All seems well but obviously - as others have said here, I’ll check over the site. In my case, particularly the things I was working on at the time of the problem.