We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 3 Posts
    When attempting to install ModX on my webserver, the installation program goes through it’s checks and tells me I have no problem (after I renamed the two files that windows so kindly lower cased for me). When I click on Next (Install), it takes me to the "Install Results" screen with the following information:
    "Setup will now attempt to setup the database:
    Creating connection to the database: OK!
    Selecting database ’modx’: OK!
    Checking table prefix ’modx_’: OK!
    "

And that is it. When I lot into my database, it does not list any tables at all. I have tried deleting the entire database, recreating it. I have re-uploaded my files to the server 3 times and it still does the same thing. I have tried using both IE and Firefox to see if the problem might be due to IE.

I left the default ’Check boxes’ and default values for everything up to the setting up the database screen, where I inserted my information. Connection verified as working on that page, in addition to the pre-installation screen.

I am using a MySQL 4 database (v 4.0.27-log protocol version 10), since the install scripts would not connect to my MySQL 5 database that I created for it.

Thank you in advance for any help that you may be able to provide,
    Stephen

EDIT-I was able to get the database setup by manually installing the tables from the SQL file and then inserting the default values from the sql-data file. Now to attempt to install the rest of the system. When I navigate to my homepage, I get the error "MODx is not currently installed or the configuration file cannot be found. Do you want to install now?" After going through the menu---using the upgrade option because my prefix already exists-"Install results

Setup will now attempt to setup the database:

Creating connection to the database: OK!

Selecting database `modx`: OK!

"
    And it just hangs there...
      • 12 Posts
      Exact same problem here, I’m uploading the p1 version now in stead of the p2 version just to test if it might solve the problem.

Any help on this issue would be appreciated.
        • 956 Posts
        See "for optimal results" section: http://modxcms.com/about.html

It seems like your mysql version is a bit too old. MODx runs fine on mySQL 5.x (although there is a nasty sort-bug in v. 5.0.51, but that’s another matter altogether).

Also, it would be useful to know on which webserver you’re trying to install. Apache, IIS, Tomcat? Some configuration infos would be helpful.
          • 12 Posts
          Thanks for that link!

Trying to install on a apache 1.3.27 webserver running php 4.2.1 and MySQL Client API version 3.23.5

So i guess MySQL (or to be more exact my hosters’ ) is a little out of date. I guess i have myself a real problem here.

Hope to find a workaround though.
            • 956 Posts
            Yes, that’s ancient. Put it into a museum smiley

If you have to build a production / commercial site, tell the hoster to upgrade, or simply switch to another hoster.

If you’re just curious and want to install it for tests / developing, you can easily install XAMPP* (Windows) or MAMP* (Mac), and get MODx running locally.

* these are application packages that include Apache, PHP, mySQL, phpMyAdmin and all that stuff you need to get going - usually takes just a few mouse-clicks to install.
              • 12 Posts
              I’ve just send my hoster a mail requesting this. I doubt if they are going to do so for me, but have to wait for their reply.

For testing environment I use a debian server with apache and newer PHP and MySQL and ik works like a charm.

Thanks for the reply though.... Now i don’t have to invest valuable time in solving something unsolvable.

• PHP 4.2.1 is also ancient. I don’t think you’ll have much luck there either.
                  Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                  Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                  • 12 Posts
                  Today I ’ve received word from my provider.

They are going to migrate all my stuff to a different server with newer php and MySQL versions. I think my problems will be solved by than.

Now comes the hard part, waiting .........

Thx for helping me anyways smiley