We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 8 Posts
    hi, do anyone know what could be wrong with utf-8 letter Ĉ (ĉ upper-case, Ĉ) it’s one of the special letters in Esperanto, but i couldn’t use it in menu name or page text - it’s displayed (or saved) wrong
    • What are your manager, database encoding and collation settings?
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 8 Posts
        Quote from: rthrash at Dec 18, 2007, 05:09 PM

What are your manager, database encoding and collation settings?
        UTF-8, utf8_unicode_ci

there is a bunch of such letters in Esperanto and all of them are displaying correctly (Ĝ, Ĥ, Ŝ, etc) and also i dont have any problems with russian, but only with Ĉ.. huh
        • Wow ... now that’s really weird!
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 24,544 Posts
            It could be a problem with a .ttf file on your machine. Not all of them are accurate for the less-used characters.

BTW, I think ISO-8859-3 should also work for Esperanto.

Bob
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • 8 Posts
              Quote from: BobRay at Dec 19, 2007, 05:51 AM

It could be a problem with a .ttf file on your machine. Not all of them are accurate for the less-used characters.
              not sure if i understand you correctly.. i can see it while i’m typing it.. only after save "Ĉ" become like that "�?"

BTW, I think ISO-8859-3 should also work for Esperanto.
              i can’t use encoding other that utf-8 as i have multilingual site
              • He was suggesting changing the font, as it might not include the glyph representing the Ĉ. I.e., if you’re using Arial now, temporarily switch to Times or some other font.
                  • 8 Posts
                  Quote from: rthrash at Dec 19, 2007, 06:23 AM

He was suggesting changing the font, as it might not include the glyph representing the Ĉ. I.e., if you’re using Arial now, temporarily switch to Times or some other font.
                  still don’t get the idea, i’m sorry.. i can see the glyph in the Character map system tool for each font (Arial, Times New Roman, etc)

so, i tried to put the following html into my page’s body:
                  <p><font face="Arial" size="4">Ĉ</font><font face="Times New Roman" size="4">Ĉ</font><font face="Verdana" size="4">Ĉ</font></p>

still got unreadable characters after save.. that’s really confusing..
                    • 956 Posts
                    Very weird. I tried to enter ĉ Ĉ into title, description, content, menu-name fields and they all display fine (frontend and manager).
                    This could be a very obscure PHP or even mySQL bug (i.e. an extension not supporting the full character range).
                    To be sure my server doesn’t accidentally send ISO-8859-1 headers (still the default with most Apache installs afaik), I usually include a PHP header before everything else: header("Content-type: text/html; charset=UTF-8");
                    but that doesn’t seem the problem in your case.

What happens if you edit a mysql table field manually? Does this character "stick"?
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      So it’s clearly not a .ttf file issue. My money is on this being a MySQL problem.

I found this stuff by clicking on the little question mark next the character set option in PhpMyAdmin.

Try putting this in a snippet:

mysql_query("SET NAMES ’utf-8’");

also

Add this line to the .htaccess file:

AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

Here’s the site with more discussion of MySQL character set quirks:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/charset-connection.html

I notice that there is a utf8_esperanto_ci option although I don’t know how it would render your other languages.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                        My MODX Extras
                        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting