We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 173 Posts
    Since I did an upgrade to the latest modx version I have got weird characters appearing and russian text appears as question marks, before the upgrade I was using charset utf8 and collation charset is utf8_general_ci, and everything worked fine.

Since the upgrade My database is still charset utf8 and the collation charset is utf8_general_ci - I have pages in english, russian, and chinese but the russian and chinese are all just showing question marks.

I’m not quite sure why its doing it, if I edit a page in the manager it all changes to Huh?

I have everythign backed up but it takes ages to upload. Help!
      I made my first site with modx
      ------------------------
      Shopping blog
      Sky+ HD
      • 173 Posts
      I reverted back to the old version, then upgraded with the newer release 0.9.6.3 RC2) now phx has stopped working, I get this error

MODx encountered the following error while attempting to parse the requested resource:
      « PHP Parse Error »

PHP error debug
        Error:  Unknown(/assets/plugins/phx/phx.parser.class.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory 
        Error type/ Nr.:  Warning - 2 
        File:  /***/***/html/manager/includes/document.parser.class.inc.php(748) : eval()’d code 
        Line:  10

I’ve checked and the directory does exist, very odd and annoying 

------------------------
        Shopping blog
        Sky+ HD
        • 1,611 Posts
        Question marks inside snippet call parameters will cause problems (as will ampersands and backticks). So if your text has these characters it might be being passed to phx in this fashion and causing the error. What I do in this situation is to temporarily change my snippet call brackets ([[ or [!) to something else (e.g., [x[) so that they won’t be executed and I can see if the snippet calls are being generated properly.

If you find that these funky characters are the root of the problem then you’ll probably want to clean up your database. The easiest way may be to export all of the data as an .sql file and use a decent text editor to batch find and replace the bad chars and then empty and repopulate these tables with the corrected data. This assumes that you’ve already dealt with the root cause of these characters being inserted, of course (a mismatch between your database and MODx charsets).
          "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
          • 173 Posts
          The bad or weird characters are not in the database its in the editor, but if I edit the page and save it, they will then be in the Database. Its only russian characters that show as question marks, the phx snippet is not affected.

When I did the update again to the latest version (0.9.6.3 RC2) , everything was fine apart from phx- but without phx the whole site breaks as I use it a lot in my templates.

I’ve given up on the upgrade for now and reverted everything back and its all working fine.

Its
            ------------------------
            Shopping blog
            Sky+ HD