We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 42 Posts
    Well there is the ideal scenario and then there is the status quo which is the current directory structure and file namings. While the MODx distribution can be changed easily to adopt a new file name convention, the same does not apply to the many extensions out there. I looked at quite a few and found that the majority uses the convention of .class.php and .inc.php extensions already. Hence my suggestion would break only a few extensions and the majority would continue to work.

I also believe that most coders prefer php include and class files to end with .php so the editor can detect the language used.
      • 1,611 Posts
      Quote from: hwmaier at Sep 12, 2009, 01:02 AM

I also believe that most coders prefer php include and class files to end with .php so the editor can detect the language used.
      That’s true, although I always set my editor to display .inc files as PHP. I figure the extra security of knowing these files cannot be executed from a browser is worth the minor effort of changing this option. Realistically I don’t think that the include file names are going to get changed in Evo because it would cause a lot of headaches.
        "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options