We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Hello,

I am working on a new website and for the time being I need it to remain offline. My problem is with the site offline (configuration setting) I am unable to preview the site as I work on it which makes this task very difficult.

I have also noticed that none of the Tiny pop-ups are working so I am unable to do anything with Tiny.

I first noticed this problem in 0.9.6.2 and I just did a fresh install of 0.9.6.3 RC-2 and using phpmyadmin I restored some of the tables content (Templates, Chunks, a snippet, and the site content) I don’t have anything special on the site that should conflict with things. (xHTML/CSS site)

The environment is Apache 2.2.9 with PHP 5.2.6 and MySQL 5.0.51a-community. This is the only site on the server experiencing these problems. All the other sites are on 0.9.6.2 and all sites are being accessed via domain names (no temp addresses).

I have FURLs enabled with paths turned on to create "folders" and the Cross Site Exploit setting enabled (tried disabled as well no dice). I’m using XP Pro SP3 with Firefox 3.0.3. Web Dev Toolbar, Firebug, Yslow, Ad Blocker, and a few other plugs, but again this is the only affected site.

I’m at a loss here so anyone have any suggestions?
    AMDbuilder
      Patrick | Server Wrangler
      About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
      • 741 Posts
      You should be able to view all pages in your site when you are logged in as manager user.
        with regards,

Ronald Lokers
        'Front-end developer' @ h2o Media

• It should work, but for some reason this site is unhappy with me and refuses to work.

Any ideas on how I can get it working again?
        • Quote from: AMDbuilder at Oct 31, 2008, 10:20 PM

I am working on a new website and for the time being I need it to remain offline. My problem is with the site offline (configuration setting) I am unable to preview the site as I work on it which makes this task very difficult.

I have also noticed that none of the Tiny pop-ups are working so I am unable to do anything with Tiny.

I first noticed this problem in 0.9.6.2 and I just did a fresh install of 0.9.6.3 RC-2 and using phpmyadmin I restored some of the tables content (Templates, Chunks, a snippet, and the site content) I don’t have anything special on the site that should conflict with things. (xHTML/CSS site)
          When you say you can’t preview the site, what exactly is the body of the response from the server? Headers? Use Information --> View Response Headers in the web developer toolbar to see the actual response headers being served by Apache.
          • Hey,

It’s working just fine now... I have no clue why, but then again I don’t care as long as it work! I cleared the browser cache after the install the other day so I guess it finally took?

AMDbuilder
              • 70 Posts
              Weird. I had the same experience with 1.0.2 version of modX evolution and then I also had the same experience of it working again.

It must have had to do with either the local cache or the site cache.

Anyway, just saying it happened to me too.

Anyone else experiencing it I would suggest clearing your local browser cache and also clearing the site cache from the modX manager panel.
                • 70 Posts
                So I’ve been able to confirm that this is an issue with firefox. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to figure out how to fix it. I’ve cleared all of my history stuff under "tools->clear recent history" and closed out and re-opened firefox and other things but it still isn’t working.

It was working for me yesterday (my last post) but then again today it is not working. However, when I load up under IE8 it works just fine.
                • mbrinson: does the page validate?
                  • I’ve had this experience (just yesterday again actually) and it took me almost half an hour to remember to check my URL... sure enough, my Manager was domain.com while the front-end was using a rewrite rule to convert all domain.com requests to www.domain.com, so I wasn’t logged in to the front end after all.
                      Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                      Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                      Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                      • 70 Posts
                      That’s exactly what it was Susan! (Not that I’m telling you anything you don’t already know).

It was quite the adventure for me to figure that out. Took me a wee bit more than your 30 minutes.

For anyone who’s interested I did a write-up on my experience and posted it on my blog.

http://www.brintech.net/modx-manager-preview-page-problem/