We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • I know, this has been discussed in other threads, but I’m not finding what I need.

Currently, I’m running 0.9.6.1 on a dedicated Cent OS 5 box with PHP 5 and MySQL 5.0.44. When I try to run the update script, I get some permissions errors:

Checking if assets/cache/siteCache.idx.php file is writable: Failed!

Checking if assets/cache/sitePublishing.idx.php file is writable: Failed!

Oddly, the manager/includes/config.inc.php has to be 666 (which worked... thanks to another post). But I can’t make the above two files happy for the installer. Any idea what might be going on? I’ve tried 777, 744, 755... but the error persists. I have a suspicion it has to do something with my server, since the upgrade went smoothly on another server (hosted by BlueHost).

Thanks for any insights.
      • 1,336 Posts
      What are the permissions on the cache directory itself? Mine is rwx for apache, it may be this level thats wrong.
        Use MODx, or the cat gets it!
      • The cache directory is: drwxrw-rw-
        Which is, uh... 766 if I’m doing it correctly.

I noticed that on my version of 0.9.6.1, it’s drwxrwxr-x... 775.

But if I change the 9.6.2 cache directory to 775, I get one additional error in the install page:
        Checking if assets/cache directory is writable: FAILED

Here are the chmod variations I tried on the two site* files (none of these eliminated the errors):
        777 site*
        775 site*
        774 site*
        770 site*
        766 site*
        755 site*
        754 site*
        765 site*
        764 site*

Just to give you more information, here’s how I’m trying to do this on this one server... we want to minimize downtime, so I copied the whole web site root directory so that
        html/ -- contains the working install of 0.9.6.1
        html2/ -- contains the problematic version of 0.9.6.2

Then I edit the apache conf file and point the DocumentRoot over to html2, then I try to navigate to mysite.com/install/

Then I go through the MODx screens and choke on the permissions errors. Maybe I’m causing some problem here by how I’m doing this?

Thanks, as always.
        • This may or may not help you, but on some of my severs I have suEXEC or suPHP setup which limits the permission you can give any one file to 644 and folder 755. If I recall the technical aspect correctly these make Apache process files based on your username vs the server(root) username. In theory it helps with security among other things. If you have permission over say 775 or 777 then you get 500 errors.

I’m guessing your server doesn’t have this setup so the max permissions should be 666/777 and if you are still getting errors then you might have another issue. The folder might belong to another user comes to mind.

Hope that’s of some help,
          AMDbuilder
            Patrick | Server Wrangler
            About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
          • My guess is that this has something to do with suEXEC or suPHP... it was murder getting that setup, and I have no faith that they are setup correctly. Any hints on how to configure them? Or even where to look? I had to ask for help getting one (or both?) of those installed.... I just remember that nothing worked until I had one of those installed, but the permissions continue to be problematic.

Thanks.
            • I let support setup and configure that for me. I can do the coding for websites and such, but linux web server management... I want someone that knows their stuff working on things. So other than suggesting my host I can’t help you much on that front other than suggest you talk with support.

AMDbuilder
                Patrick | Server Wrangler
                About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting