We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 3 Posts
    Off to a lousy start with modx. Can’t make the install happen. It’s failing on the connection page. I enter: localhost for host, root for user, and my password. Then i have a link to click - "Click here to test your server connection and get the available collations". When i do nothing happens. No feedback whatsoever. I get a browser js error pointing to line 13, ’value’ is null or not an object. it has to do with the collation pulldown in the Database Information section.

Hopefully someone here can clear this up. I couldn’t find an a resolution anywhere else. I’ll be downloading ExpressionEngine in the meantime.
    • Quote from: jwallz at Sep 25, 2008, 12:37 AM

Off to a lousy start with modx. Can’t make the install happen. It’s failing on the connection page. I enter: localhost for host, root for user, and my password. Then i have a link to click - "Click here to test your server connection and get the available collations". When i do nothing happens. No feedback whatsoever. I get a browser js error pointing to line 13, ’value’ is null or not an object. it has to do with the collation pulldown in the Database Information section.
      If you can provide some information about your server configuration, especially MySQL version, PHP version, web server, etc., we can provide better assistance for you. This is the first report of this JavaScript error that I am aware of, though this is a new feature.

Also, make sure if you used FTP to transfer the files to a server that there were no errors in the transmission (this is a common problem).
        • 1,336 Posts
        I’m just trying to install 0.9.6.2 on a test box and it fails on the connection page at ’Click here to test your server connection’, it just does nothing, the link its trying is :-

http://localhost/modx-0.9.6.2/install/index.php?action=connection#

This is a standard Centos5 box using FF 3 with javascript enabled as far as I can see.

Quick look shows that the action_connection.php file now has mootools stuff in it that I know nought about, I don’t think 0.9.6.1 had this.

If I ’next’ off the page I just get a box saying ’test your server connection’ or some such.

I’ve installed 0.9.6.2 OK on Fedora 6 and 7 and on Windows so this might be a Centos thing, dont know, no major prob, I’ll hack the config.php.inc file but I’ thought I’d better post it just for future ref.
          Use MODx, or the cat gets it!
        • MySQL version? Apache version? Javascript errors? Has nothing to do with CentOS as I use that on our servers.
            • 1,336 Posts
            MYSQL standard Centos ship,
            Apache standard Centos ship,
            Javascript errors, no idea, wouldn’t know where to look

Centos 5.2

Just thought, I was trying the install thru an NX session over SSH, so I wasn’t on the real screen here but I’m sure this worked with 0.9.6.1

How did you do the install on your Centos servers? Perhaps I’m missing something here

I’m sure this is not Centos per se.

• 3 Posts
              I’m running a simple development environment on my notebook with Windows Vista using the following:
              MySQL 5.0.67
              Apache 2.2.9
              PHP 5.2.6

When i try the install in Firefox 3.0.1the problem is on this page: http://localhost/modx/install/index.php?action=connection

I enter:
              Database host: localhost
              Databse login name: root
              Database password: [my password]

Then when I click this link=> ’Click here to test your server connection and get the available collations’ nothing happens except that the Collation pull-down in the Database Information section below it disappears. It had previously been set to utf8_general_ci. Also, it was the only option in the pull-down. Also there are no js errors up to this point. I mistakenly listed a js error in my earlier post. That doesn’t happen until you click the ’Click here to create your database or to test the selection of your database’ link and that only happens because the collation pull-down no longer exists after clicking the previous link.

Hope this helps.
                • 3 Posts
                I got the same javascript error with IE7 and FF3 on a dev box (xp, php 5.2.0 cgi, mysql 5.0.18).
                It seems to be a php problem, not a browser one.

In my case, i symply forgot to replace the old php4 ini file with a new one for php5 undecided

So i suspect the problem probably comes from misconfiguration in the php.ini or a bad php/extension build (php_mysql.so ?)
                i can’t be more accurate because my php.ini was entierly wrong

Maybe another problem is that this error case is not correctly handled by the installation script of modx after the connexion database tests failed.
                  • 1,336 Posts
                  OK, getting this error in the error console when I click the server connection test link :-

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Cannot modify properties of a WrappedNative" nsresult: "0x80570034 (NS_ERROR_XPC_CANT_MODIFY_PROP_ON_WN)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://global/content/bindings/autocomplete.xml :: onxblpopuphiding :: line 834" data: no]

This seems to happen every time, and like the previous op the collation pull down disappears.

• 3 Posts
                    I looked further this morning

I used the same broken configuration when i encounter this problem on a fresh install of modx.
                    PHP 4 ini file used with PHP 5 => bad php_mysql extension build => mysql extension not loaded

During installation, it seems that the modx install script doesn’t check if this extention is fully loaded or not.

if the mysql extension is not loaded, the install script does not handle the missing functions errors properly.

for instance, file "connection.collation.php" :
                    $output = '<select id="database_collation" ...>';
                    if ($conn = @ mysql_connect($host, $uid, $pwd)) {
                        if (mysql_num_rows($getCol) > 0) {
                           // ...
                           $output = '<select id="database_collation" ...>';
                           // + collation options end </select> written
                        }
                    }
                    echo $output; // replace the initial <select id="database_collation" ...>...</select> after ajax call

if mysql extension not loaded :
                    => $conn == "Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() ..." (error not shown because of the @)
                    => $conn is TRUE and conditional code is executed
                    => $output = "";
                    => $(collation) updated by mootools with no content
                    => drop down <select id="database_collation"> removed from DOM (and does not appear anymore)
                    => Ajax/javascript error $(database_collation) is null

similar bugs in files connection.servertest.php and connection.databasetest.php

Maybe the modx’s install script should check for the rare case in mysql extention is not loaded,
                    some of the install/connection.* files have to be modified to handle this.

my 2 cents smiley
                      • 1,336 Posts
                      Ah penny drops a bit now, the box I’m on doesn’t have the MYSQL server installed, I was trying to point it to a remote database which I have no probs connecting to using the mysql client on the box. Maybe its a manifestation of this.