We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 203 Posts
    @smashingred, I couldn’t have had said it better myself. When you get so used to the same options you end up ’Speed Installing’, which is exactly what I did with 9.6.2.. I still think to combat this and people in-differences a [blank select] which will then prompt for the users language rather then leave a default selected.
    • @knightknight Bingo! A solution: Blank option; error if no selection.
        Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
        • 741 Posts
        Why don’t just get the browser language with php and serve the right language in the list? If the language is not in the list you could set it to english by default.
          with regards,

Ronald Lokers
          'Front-end developer' @ h2o Media

• @MediaGuy the problem with that is that there are many devs who do installs for clients who speak another language. I would think that this is frequently the case in Europe where a non English dev might deliver a site to an English speaking client. I have clients who prefer to read in French so I would install based on their need.
            Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
            • 741 Posts
            Then I would stick with the blank option cool
              with regards,

Ronald Lokers
              'Front-end developer' @ h2o Media

• 46 Posts
              computersolutions.cn Reply #16, 15 years, 7 months ago
              I think it should default to english, as the choose option page starts in English, with this caveat:

Try to use the language preferences for the browser to choose if possible, and default to that if it has a suitable language available, WITH A CLEARLY DEMARCATED option to choose a different language.

One thing to think about, if you are a stickler for alphabetical order, what happens for ordering for non latin based languages?

Does 中文 (Simplified Chinese) come before Bulgarian, or does it go at Z (which is phonetical order).