We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 8 Posts
    I have run into a little problem with my Modx install; any hints from the greater powers would be much appreciated.

Some stats:

Domain: cktheatreschool.co.uk
    Modx: 0.9.6.3
    PHP: 5.3.6
    MySQL: 5.1.56
    Browser: Chrome, FF4/FF3, IE8 etc.
    Server: VPS hosting, Cpanel v. 11.28.87, 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5.028stab070.5 kernel

Scenario: Started upgrading ModX to a new version - things went wrong. Restored the hosting to pre-upgrade using the image I took before I started work. Things worked okay for a bit but now no users can login correctly. The restore might be co-incidental but I figured it was worth mentioning.

At first I thought the passwords were bad so I used myPHPadmin to change them in the database, I even created a new user for testing purposes this way. The results are always the same.

FIRST INSTANCE:
    Step 1. I enter my username
    Step 2: I enter my RIGHT password, and
    Step 3: I click on Login button, and nothing happens.
    A) The user interface gets reloaded, and
    B) The system pretends steps 1 through 3 have never happened.

SECOND INSTANCE:
    Step 2: I enter a WRONG password, and
    Step 3: I click on Login button,
    something happens.
    B) The system tells me, "The username or password you entered is incorrect. Please check the username, re-type the password, and try again."

This bug has been reported in Revolution (see here: http://bugs.modx.com/issues/4242) so that information might be relevant.

Any ideas what might be going on here...?

Any thoughts much appreciated
    Cheers
    D

• Hello,

I would start by upgrading your site to 1.0.5 stat, 0.9.6.3 is VERY old and a lot of security issues and other improvements have been made. If you need help upgrading the site please ask and someone can help you. There is NOT a direct upgrade path from 0.9.6.3 to Revolution, that’s a slightly more involved upgrade.

Enjoy
        Patrick | Server Wrangler
        About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
        • 8 Posts
        I know right, super old! All of this started when I wanted to start upgrades.

Anyway, what is the upgrade path like from this version to revolution? Do I just have otoh sequentially upgrade through the various iteration of evolution and then make the jump? Is there a more straight forward way?

Do you think upgrading would sort out this issue, should I know resolve this first before doing anything else?

Thanks again
        D
          • 312 Posts
          There is no direct upgrade from the Evolution path to the new Revolution at present.
          The tag syntax is different and only a some addons have been upgraded.

I would suggest upgrading to Evo 1.0.5 You may also have a bit of work to do I think you need to check all snippets and see if the syntax has changed.
          Then investigate Reveloution if it is necessary Evo upgrades will continue for a long time. Just no new features in general.
            DEVELOPMENT ENV:- Ubuntu 12.04 | MODx Revolution 2.2.8 | LAMP 2i Apache 2.2.22 | Php 5.3.10 | Mysql 5.5.31 MySQL client version: 5.5.31
            • 8 Posts
            OK - so I followed the instructions listed here: http://wiki.modxcms.com/index.php/Upgrading_Guide

And upgraded the installation to the latest version of Evolution.
            While the upgrade seemed to go okay, my login error persists.

Trying to get to some pages on the site (those using Ditto for example) return the following error:
            « MODx Parse Error »

MODx encountered the following error while attempting to parse the requested resource:
            « PHP Parse Error »

PHP error debug
            Error: strftime() [function.strftime]: It is not safe to rely on the system’s timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected ’Europe/London’ for ’BST/1.0/DST’ instead
            Error type/ Nr.: Warning - 2
            File: /home/ckts/public_html/assets/snippets/ditto/classes/ditto.class.inc.php
            Line: 298
            Line 298 source: $placeholders[’date’] = strftime($dateFormat,$timestamp);

Parser timing
            MySQL: 0.0061 s (8 Requests)
            PHP: 2.3900 s
            Total: 2.3961 s

This is an issue which was discussed in this thread:
            http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php?topic=40691.0

and this one:
            http://knol.google.com/k/alexandru-dutulescu/modx-cms-tips-tricks/bbeng7p5ehxe/2#

tl,dr: Add the following to phpi.ini to make the parse errors go way.
            date.timezone = "Europe/London"

Which fixed the parse error thing.

However; the login issue persists!
            FIRST INSTANCE:
            Step 2: I enter my RIGHT password, and
            Step 3: I click on Login button, and nothing happens.
            B) The system pretends steps 1 through 3 have never happened.

SECOND INSTANCE:
            Step 2: I enter a WRONG password, and
            Step 3: I click on Login button,
            something happens.
            B) The system tells me, "The username or password you entered is incorrect. Please check the username, re-type the password, and try again."

What now?
            Also - Mods, is it worth moving this thread to another forum as the version of MODx has changed?

Thanks again for your help guys!
            D

• 24,544 Posts
                Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                • 8 Posts
                Thanks for the tips Bob.

I never had a memory limit issue before but I upped the limit from 64 to 128 in my php.ini file. Didn’t seem to make any difference.

Tracked down this thread
                http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,35112.0.html

and added some lines to my php.ini (adding things to my .htaccsess file just breaks everything - 500 type errors all over the shop)

session.save_path = /home/ckts/public_html/assets/sessions/
                session.gc_maxlifetime = 28800

However when they are in place parse errors begin showing up on the pages of the main site.
                I’m not sure if this is due the path being malformed or due to this not being the actual problem.

Either way, having those lines in place doesn’t make the manger login anyway.

What should I be looking at next?

• 24,544 Posts
                  Check the values in manager/includes/config.inc.php.
                    My MODX Extras
                    • 8 Posts
                    core config checked out ok.

I got it fixed but not very skill fully I have to admit. Still not sure what the problem ever was.

I dumped the database and then deleted everything from the web home directory. Performed a fresh install of the latest version of Modx evolution and them re-imported the database/re-uploaded my assets.
                    All working now!

Thanks for all your help
                    //close thread
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      I’m glad you got it worked out. Could you add "solved" to the subject line?
                        My MODX Extras