We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 84 Posts
    hi all,

just installed modx 0.9.6.3 and having problem - blank / white screen

Unix server
    php 5.2.6
    MySQL: 4.1.22
    phpMyAdmin 2.11.1

the only thing i have done different to the install is set the Mysql version to... ’swiss’ instead of ’tf8_general_ci’ not sure if that makes any difference.

cheers
    jordan
    • Are you able to login to the Manager? I suspect you have a database encoding/collation mismatch.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 84 Posts
        thank rthtash...
        blank screen in the manager.
        i had to choose ’swiss’ for some reason in the database setup.
        what’s the easiest way to change the encoding/collation.

• Quote from: jordank at Jun 11, 2009, 12:24 AM

thank rthtash...
          blank screen in the manager.
          i had to choose ’swiss’ for some reason in the database setup.
          what’s the easiest way to change the encoding/collation.
          ’swiss’? I am not aware of a charset (or collations) called ’swiss’ huh Are you sure that is what is says? Or do you mean latin1_swedish_ci, the default? BTW, that is an awfully old version of MySQL you are running there; I’d really recommend getting that upgraded to something more recent.
            • 84 Posts
            sorry - ’latin1_swedish’

will the upgrade cause issues? that’s if the hosting company can do it.

can I just change the collation at the other end - in the config file?

• Provided your host can make the upgrade you shouldn’t have any issues. I know one of my hosts upgraded earlier this year and I didn’t notice a single issue outside of a little downtime to finish updating some other stuff.

AMDbuilder
                Patrick | Server Wrangler
                About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
                • 84 Posts
                Thanks AMDbuilder - just sent a request to the hosting company.
                • Glad I could be of some assistance. Please let us know how everything turns out!
                    Patrick | Server Wrangler
                    About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
                    • 84 Posts
                    hi all, host can’t upgrade the phpmyadmin version at the moment sad
                    i have found a tutorial that explains how to export the modx data and then import it back with the correct collation - but this is not working for me - any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
                    thanks
                    jk
                      • 84 Posts
                      had enough of this and going back to modx-0.9.6.2