We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 9 Posts
    I’m having a problem that seems to have been discussed with respect to 0.9.6.1, and which supposedly was fixed with the release of 0.9.6.3. The thread is here:

http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,19892.0.html

I seem to be having a related problem. I’m using 0.9.6.3 on a MAMP installation.

When I set up the template variables, I gave them "default values". I did this because 90% of the time the defaults are correct and I don’t want to have to keep remembering what to type in.

The problem is, when I go to a page whose template can access those TV’s, the default value "sticks" and can’t be removed unless I replace it with something else.

So let’s say for example that I have a TV whose default value is set to "82" (a document number). If I go in to edit the page, delete "82" and save the document, the "82" value comes right back. I can replace it with something else (another number, garbage text, a period, etc.) and it will "stick", but as soon as I delete the replaced value, the next time I save the document, the default "82" value comes back again.

Is this a bug or am I misunderstanding the purpose of the default value function?

Thanks,
    M2
    • It’s the expected behavior. If you want it blank, use a space.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 9 Posts
        Quote from: rthrash at May 27, 2009, 01:24 AM

It’s the expected behavior. If you want it blank, use a space.

Tried that. Same result. When I save & refresh the document, the default value is back. Is there some sort of special space character (akin to a nonbreaking space in HTML) I need to be using?
        • What’s the name of your TV?
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 9 Posts
            Quote from: rthrash at May 27, 2009, 02:46 AM

What’s the name of your TV?

Generally they’re called sidebar1A, sidebar1B, sidebar2A, sidebar2B and so on. No spaces or non-alphanumeric characters.
            • Any actual value that is not an empty string when trimmed of whitespace should work, e.g. <!-- mejor que nada --> or &nbsp;