We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Sal Baldovinos Reply #1, 15 years ago
    This has been the biggest headache I’ve ever encountered with Modx. I know upgrading should not be this difficult huh >:(

I even had help from Zaigham and still isn’t working out for me undecided

The Story
    I have a website that was in 9.5 that needed to be upgraded. I backed up the database, created a subdomain on our staging servers and installed 9.6.3 on that subdomain. I then ’restored the database using the dump file from the original site. This seemingly worked out, site was working and looking fine. I then had out IT guy "relaunch" the site using the new installation. Then my headaches began. I know now that that was probably the bad way of upgrading as my chunks disappeared, eform gave parse errors and some other stuff stopped functioning correctly.

That’s when Zi stepped in and we chatted for awhile and he walked me through doing it correctly. We did it step-by-step on my staging domain. Eureka! it was working and functioning correctly. Then my task was to do the same for the live site (which is already in 9.6.3 now but broken). I went through the process again with Zi this morning. I loaded the /install directory on Upgrade mode. I took me straight to the check list of chunks, snippets, etc > I hit next. This is where my trouble is. Everything has the green OK! next to it except for

Creating connection to the database: Database connection failed!

I’m at a loss for how completely difficult this has been for me. I need some serious help so I can just get this site rolling again.

Things I’ve tried
    Zi suggested changing the config.inc.php so that it points to the working db. I did that and I got my chunks back and it looked like it actually worked. Then I tried going to the contact page it there was my friend the parse errors I was experiencing the first time.

This has got me so frustrated my chest hurts...now I’m just blogging/venting...sorry. I really need to get this working. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you’re my only hope.
      Sal Baldovinos
      SEO & DIGITAL MARKETING

ARIEL DIGITAL | Maximize Your Potential
      www.arieldigitalmarketing.com
    • Make sure to clear the site cache and that the upgrade script has indeed been run. Also make sure to empty your browser cache and make sure you’ve got a new/clean session.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me