We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 16 Posts
    I made a new installation of MODx 0.9.6.3 and I was able to login into manager BUT when I tried to preview my work, I was receiving a ’Server error 500’ on Internet Explorer and just a blank page on Mozzila & Chrome.

After a lot of reading, I found the problem... my customer server hasn’t enabled the php_mbstring module in the php.ini...

Seems that this is required for function mb_strlen(), called by assets/snippets/ajaxSearch/classes/ajaxSearch.class.inc.php on line 359

Solution: change mb_strlen() to strlen()

I hope this help other people!
    • onesmarthost Reply #2, 15 years ago
      A better option would be to set have your customer / or web host enable php_mbstring that way you can easily upgrade MODx in the future without having to worry about any changes you have made to the core.
        http://www.onesmarthost.co.uk
        UK MODX Hosting with love.
        • 805 Posts
        PaulSuckling Reply #3, 15 years ago
        Another alternative is to upgrade to the latest version of AjaxSearch if you haven’t done so already. This has an option to turn off reliance on the php_mbstring. No editing of source code required.

Paul
          YAMS: Yet Another Multilingual Solution for MODx
          YAMS Forums | Latest: YAMS 1.1.9 | YAMS Documentation
          Please consider donating if you appreciate the time and effort spent developing and supporting YAMS.
          • 16 Posts
          Aaron / Paul... thanks for your comments

My intention here is to offer a quick fix to a headache... I agree with both of you that a better way to fix this is enabling the module and/or upgrading the AjaxSearch to 1.8.2b (MODx 0.9.6.3 comes with the 1.8.1)

Regards