We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,193 Posts
    I am writing an application for Mac OS X. It is called Command Control (⌘ + ctrl buttons from the Mac OS keyboard... pretty clever, huh?)

This application, written in Xcode (objective-c cocoa and applescript) allows you to connect to your MODx database, get the list of documents, edit them, create new documents, delete documents, etc...

It uses an XML-RPC server I put together based on the The Incutio XML-RPC Library for PHP to send and receive data from the Mac OS X desktop, so it consists of 2 parts. Command Control.app (the OS X application) and cmdctrl.php (the XML-RPC server you upload to the root of your MODx installation).

This is VERY alpha software. Only the basics are working at this time (edit, create new, and delete). I am working on the RTE, which at this point allows text input, but the heading 1-6 selectors and the bold, italics, and underline buttons are not working yet. I am also working on image upload. The whole RTE thing I am finding out is no trivial task (to say the least).

To keep an eye on the project and to download the latest binary, go to http://piratemachine.org/software/

*** EDIT ***
    I am rewriting this in REALBasic so I can deliver binary executables for all major platforms.
    I would like to get suggestions for a name for this app (since cmd+ctrl is a term that only seems appropriate for the Mac) from this community. Please post your naming suggestions in this forum thread.

-sD-
    Dr. Scotty Delicious, Scientist.
      Husband, Father, Brother, Son, Programmer, Atheist, Nurse, Friend, Lover, Fighter.
      All of the above... in no specific order.

I send pointless little messages
    • Very, very nice! That looks superb grin Heh, quite funny as I only got XCode up and running at the weekend for a bit of widget development - oh, and you have yourself an alpha tester btw wink

Keep it up, Scotty!

Garry Nutting
        Senior Developer
        MODX, LLC

Email: [email protected]
        Twitter: @garryn
        Web: modx.com
      • Jaw drops. Me likey ... LOTS!
          Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • 7,075 Posts
          +1 Scotty you never cease to amaze me !

This is simply H-U-G-E !

Where the hell do you find time to learn so many things so fast ?
          I am in awe (and happy too, glad to be a Mac user grin)
            .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
            • 23 Posts
            Fantastic !!!
            You’ve got another alpha tester ! smiley

How do you manage the offline-online part ?
            Will I be able to access the app and the previously synchronized document when i’m offline ?
            Will it be a solution for having a real "rich text editor" compatible with Mac OS X ?

By the way, why don’t we have a "Mac" section on the forum ? (or i’ve missed it ?)
              • 1,193 Posts
              Quote from: omid at Jan 23, 2007, 01:34 AM

Fantastic !!!
              You’ve got another alpha tester ! smiley
              Cool! PM me your email address and I will send you the App.

How do you manage the offline-online part ?
              You will have to be online at this point, but perhaps storing the information locally using Xcode’s Core Data and then syncing that on connection to the remote host would be cool.

Will I be able to access the app and the previously synchronized document when i’m offline ?
              Not at this point. Great feature request though. I will put it on the TODO list.

Will it be a solution for having a real "rich text editor" compatible with Mac OS X ?
              That is the idea. Your definition of "Real" and mine may vary. What I am shooting for at this point is a basic WYSIWYG HTML editor, much like the basic toolbar set for TinyMCE. Who knows though, maybe next I will do drag and drop support for images. We will see I guess.

By the way, why don’t we have a "Mac" section on the forum ? (or i’ve missed it ?)
              Because MODx is platform independant. Although there are intricacies involved specific to the Mac OS, they are more specifically tied to a particular browser. Although we are all trying to contribute ideas and solutions to make this work exactly the same on every possible browser, there are a lot of variables that make that quite difficult to say the least.

-sD-
                Husband, Father, Brother, Son, Programmer, Atheist, Nurse, Friend, Lover, Fighter.

• 1,193 Posts
                Mark helped me track down a bug in cmdctrl.php (a really stupid mistake actually).
                Line 829 should read:
                		require_once('manager/includes/config.inc.php');

and not any reference to scottydelicious LOL embarrassed

-sD-

• Can I test too? Can I? Can I? shocked
                    Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                    Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                    Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                    • 1,193 Posts
                    Quote from: sottwell at Jan 23, 2007, 06:34 AM

Can I test too? Can I? Can I? shocked
                    Susan, I sent you a package to your loripsum address

-sD-

• 4,213 Posts
                      Very nice Scotty!! laugh

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."