We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 46 Posts
    computersolutions.cn Reply #1, 17 years, 8 months ago
    Any thoughts on creating an XML-RPC interface for blog posting?

I was thinking of starting off with the wordpress base, and integrating with the work done on docAPI.
    Before I start - Anyone done anything like this? Or should I go ahead and give it a whirl.

The idea is to get performancing working so users can post from their browser easily.

PS -
    The site search really isn’t indexed well for the forums. I usually end up going to google site:modxcms.com <phrase> as the forums always say not found, when I know there is content...
    • Google does a good (better!) job of searching/indexing indeed quite often.

Would love to see an XML-RPC intereface for blogs. If it enabled the WP API, that’d be even better as you could use Flock to blog! smiley
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • Quote from: computersolutions.cn at Jul 17, 2006, 05:37 AM

Any thoughts on creating an XML-RPC interface for blog posting?

I was thinking of starting off with the wordpress base, and integrating with the work done on docAPI.
        Before I start - Anyone done anything like this? Or should I go ahead and give it a whirl.
        I say give it a whirl.

Just keep in mind that web services and AJAX services are slated to become document types in an upcoming release of MODx. This means you can create SOAP or vanilla XML interfaces directly in MODx and supporting the WP API or any other standard blog API, should be a matter of defining the expected inputs, performing any requested actions, and providing the appropriate output.

Also, with the next generation of MODx, we are going to have a new, more consistent, and object-oriented API that will supercede the contributed docAPI and the existing MODx API it is wrapping.

I only mention these things in case you might be interested in contributing to the core team efforts working on these capabilities, but considering it is very difficult to schedule open-source releases, I certainly am not trying to discourage you from creating this as an add-on to the current MODx using the docAPI, as that would most likely be useful to people long before 1.0 makes it into production; just informing you of what’s going on behind the scenes. In fact, it would be best to go ahead and build it for 0.9.x/docAPI for now, then we can utilize your experience implementing that to refactor it for 1.0.

Quote from: rthrash at Jul 17, 2006, 12:54 PM

Would love to see an XML-RPC intereface for blogs. If it enabled the WP API, that’d be even better as you could use Flock to blog! smiley
        or blog directly from Flickr...mmmmm wink
          • 120 Posts
          I was just thinking about that this morning. I know of at least one community member who already made an attempt, but never finished or published anything useable. I’m tempted to take a stab at it myself, but I just don’t think I have the time.

If you pulled it off, I’d be your biggest fan. smiley But don’t forget, the XML-RPC interface is not only used for posting, but also for pinging and trackbacks, which is definitely the aspect of it that I need the most.
            • 46 Posts
            computersolutions.cn Reply #5, 17 years, 8 months ago
            Initially, I want to get the basics going - most important for me is to be able to post.

I’m not sure about the pings and trackbacks yet as some of those require checking of current comments etc. Not sure how I reconcile the different ways of doing things (-eg if you use smf or modx for comments). I haven’t looked much internally at modx yet to see if the data is a different content type or not for comment vs regular page either.

First step is to get it to list the available pages, and get some kind of interface from Performancing going.

So, I need to get login working and a get list of child id’s and titles function going.
            I’m going to cheat a little and hard code a parent document id to look at for now. Once I get that running I can ask here about the best way to go forward.

Once I get that going then it should just be a matter of adding functions for each of the other various commands available.

So far this is going to require:

class-IXR.php (http://scripts.incutio.com/xmlrpc/) which is BSD licenced, and whatever I write for the xml-rpc stuff.

So far I’ve done absolutely nothing sad as I have no time either in the day.
            However; I’m starting work on this now, and will post something tomorrow hopefully!

Lawrence.

• 46 Posts
              computersolutions.cn Reply #6, 17 years, 8 months ago
              Some progress..

I’ve managed to get performancing to login now - using (custom blog).
              Not really useful yet, but you can see where i’m going with this.

Functionality so far - Login works (although I’m only accepting admin users for now).

Its very alpha, and not really so useful yet - but starting to take shape..

More tomorrow smiley

If you want to take a peek, then download, unzip the xmlrpc.zip into site root folder of your test site, and use performancing to go to yoursite.tld/xmlrpc.php
              I’d suggest don’t put this in a live site just yet..

• 46 Posts
                computersolutions.cn Reply #7, 17 years, 8 months ago
                What with real life(tm) intruding, I haven’t had much time to continue this recently.

Spent about an hour today adding in the getRecentPosts functionality.

Now - can login, and get recent posts (and put the post content into Performancing).

Still haven’t done as much as i’d like, and a few little buglets, but getting there smiley

We’ll call this one .002

Functionality - (using performancing for firefox)
                Can Login.
                Can See recent Posts listed in History (title bug to be fixed), and content of posts is listed in the editor view.

To test - unzip to site root.

Open performancing up,
                Manually Configure
                Custom Blog
                Blogger API
                point it at SITENAME/xmlrpc.php
                provide admin user /pass

• 3,250 Posts
                  Any progress?
                    • 3,250 Posts
                    Bump.
                      • 4 Posts
                      Hi there,

some years ago this post - but anything new about xml-rpc?
                      Still very interested?

Greetings
                      Molingo.