We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1 Posts
    Hi,

i am using MODx Evolution 1.0.5

This is my first time installing MODx in my Desktop using XAMPP. I ran into this database connection failed error.
    Tried different username and password but could not solve it.

Please help me out as i have absolutely no idea what to do.

SKY

Pre-install validation
    Setup has carried out a number of checks to see if everything’s ready to start the setup.
    Checking PHP version: OK!

Checking if Register_Globals is off: OK!

Checking if sessions are properly configured: OK!

Checking if /assets/cache and /assets/cache/rss directories exist: OK!

Checking if /assets/cache and /assets/cache/rss directories are writable: OK!

Checking if /assets/cache/siteCache.idx.php file is writable: OK!

Checking if /assets/cache/sitePublishing.idx.php file is writable: OK!

Checking if /assets/images, /assets/files, /assets/flash and /assets/media directories exists: OK!

Checking if /assets/images, /assets/files, /assets/flash and /assets/media directories are writable: OK!

Checking if /assets/export directory exists: OK!

Checking if /assets/export directory is writable: OK!

Checking if /manager/includes/config.inc.php exists and is writable: OK!

Creating connection to the database: Database connection failed!

Please check the database login details and try again.

• 307 Posts
      hi,

this is quite funny as usually MODx has a few db checking before starting to install, did you go through those verifications ?

something else
      - usually, except if you’ve changed that, on xamp, wamp & cie, user/passw are root and empty (really empty not the word itself) for the db
      - things work better if you’ve created your db first and set its charset to utf8_general_ci

if all this seems ok to you, check your php and mysql versions there is a known bug between php 5.3.4+ and mysql 5.5.8
      if you’re in this case, for the moment the only known workaround is to downgrade mysql to 5.1.4

Have swing
        réfléchir avant d'agir