We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,495 Posts
    Hi, is it possible for a single installation to be used for mutlti site?
    I thought this might be another solution for multi site capability. So in the core, there will be a support to have config fle that can be called a stub (b2evolution) or include (phorum) or whatever you guys want to call it to have a different database name, prefix and etc just for the document table. That stub file can be put in a directory called includes, which we just need to host the domain on that directory, and this stub file or config file will call back to index.php on the root folder with the right configuration specific to that site. Same thing with manager page, which can be directed by stub or config file.

Thihngs to ponder is:
    1. Are we going to duplicate the snippet, plugin and modules database as well?
    2. How about the folders, are we just going to keep the resources folder the same, but the rest of it such as images and etc will be seperated for each site?

Anyway, that’s just my thought.
    Hoping to get some reply.

My only concern with making MODx to be a multi site framework right now is a little bit hassle, plus the configuration in MODx is little bit harder, so when we install it, we need to modify it for our secific clients. It’s good if we have a lot of customize kind of website, but for selling a simple website with MODx is a little bit harder, because we can’t just use MODx right of the bat, or we can’t install module just with a few clicks.

What do you guys think?
    If it’s part of MODx milestone, please let me know too. I would like to know whether multi site capability will be added or not. As far as multi lingual capability, I can see the implementatino that MODx trying to have in the next release of 0.9.1.

Regards,
    Wendy Novianto
      Wendy Novianto
      [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
      [font=Verdana]Xituz Media
      • 1,495 Posts
      I have this urge to have subsite being supported by MODx, how hard it is to make MODx to check the host and define the right prefix table for doc table? So that I don’t have to use mod rewrite and set MODx to use SEF option, including the path option.

Basically the site just going to be static with a little bit of dynamic stuff, but it won’t act as a community site. SO basicallt the user login that will be use just for manager.

Thanks
        Wendy Novianto
        • 302 Posts
        Seems like the bigger problem with that would be altering the manager to also change db tables so that you’re editing the right pages!

A possible, and similar idea might be to build your "subsite" as a branch of the main site (using the same tables, but not necessarily the same templates etc). Then use a menu snippet to detect the URL and paste the appropriate menu in.

Just a thought. And a quick one at that.
          Standard Disclaimer
          I could be totally wrong.
          • 1,732 Posts
          This feature will be support in the future
            xWisdom
            www.xwisdomhtml.com
            The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
            MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
            • 1,495 Posts
            jaredc: That’s a great idea, and in fact I’m using it right now, but it has a limitation, because I’m using mod rewrite, to make a better site engine ranking, but it ended up confusing search engine, because a lot of permanent redirection that I made with mod rewrite.

xwisdom: thanks for the info, but is there any specific milestone date of when this is going to be started? If it’s in the next 1 or 2 months, than it will be great, but if it’s more than that, than I need to start thinking of a better way to work out something with the current version.

Have you guys come up with something yet? I’m just wondering whether I can help the idea or not. I’m just trying to find a way to speed up the development in this part of future feature.

Thanks for all the great answers, I’m still looking forward to hear back more great response from this discussion.
              Wendy Novianto
              • 1,732 Posts
              Hi,

No milestone date set as yet but I don’t think this will be ready in the next 1 to 2 months at all.
                xWisdom
                www.xwisdomhtml.com
                The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
                MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
                • 1,495 Posts
                Do you guys already has a set of solution idea on which part of MODx that needs to be changed and etc yet? I try to come up with my own solution, but if you guys already have several idea, then why do I need to reinvent the wheel? It’s better to just make it work and come to reality, instead of spending time again in finding a better solution.

Thanks
                  Wendy Novianto