We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,131 Posts
    This is probably going to be the one discussion that will likely raise many questions. Being as that most of the layout in the manager is made up of traditional tables and whatnot, the question is whether or not if it’s worth converting the existing layout into one that is XHTML based (DIV’s anyone?).

I’ve taken just a little time to look over the changes made to the new Etomite 0.6.1 code. The most significant change is, of course, the change from a table-based layout in the manager to a XHTML layout. I like the idea...definitely a change for the better since it means less work to change the theme and layout of the manager after the fact. In regards to the implementation in Etomite...well...let’s just say I probably would have done it a little differently.

Now, I’m not sure how you guys feel about "borrowing" ideas from Etomite. Personally, I think both development teams should feel free to learn from each other’s code. If we decide to go forth in converting the layout though, certainly looking at how it’s implemented in Etomite would need to be considered.

So...based on that, what do you think? Good idea? Or a little premature? wink
      Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
    • There is a lot of work going on in this area. Including a conspicuous abscence of frames, too, I might add. smiley
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • ;) I’ve seen the future, and it looks good...
          • 56 Posts
          I think this is a rethorical rather than a controversial question. The quicker we get rid of frames, tables, etc. the better. I continuously struggle with refreshing the manager screen time and again as one of the frames doesn’t show up (often the left menu and/or the top menu. So please, please do something about this... wink
            • 680 Posts
            Quote from: eko40 at Aug 05, 2005, 05:35 PM

I think this is a rethorical rather than a controversial question. The quicker we get rid of frames, tables, etc. the better. I continuously struggle with refreshing the manager screen time and again as one of the frames doesn’t show up (often the left menu and/or the top menu. So please, please do something about this... wink

Amen, borther. Preach it! smiley
              • 15 Posts
              So is there any chance that we can get a sneakpeek of "the future" anytime soon?  I use Safari and the layout tends to be a bit broken, which is a shame because I love using MODx. No frames sounds great to me!  Are there any plans in the future of making it not resemble Etomite at all?  I realize this is probably low on the list of priorities because you guys are always making the features and functionality better.  Looking forward to seeing where the interface is going!
                Top Dead Center Design, LLC
                Design, Develop, Manage
                http://tdcdesign.com/
                • 680 Posts
                I’ve only had small taste of what the new interface will look like but I can tell you two things.

1. I can guaranee you that if Ryan is involved then it will work seamlessly with Safari.

2. It will look NOTHING like the etomite manager.

From what I’ve seen the new manager looks beautiful and should be XHTML accross the board and easily skinnable with CSS.
                  • 577 Posts
                  Not seeing anything ... I’d definitely can back up aNoble.

Ryan is like that insurance commercial -- The Rock!

Proven and beyond doubt a safe bet laugh
                    Tangent-Warrior smiley
                  • LOL ... the future does look very good. You’re going to be amazed that it even came from the same product. The fruits of more than 6 months work will hopefully be viewable, although, it is software and there are no solid timeframe commitments. Our release history should give you some indication of what you might be able to expect though. ’nuff said!

And you’re 100% correct that everything will work in Safari except the Rich Text Editors, that is... wink

I’m not about to start diving into Safari’s recently-open-sourced Javascript and Webkit source code (not that I’d even know where to begin if I were so inclined anyway...). Given that though, give it a few more months and I bet they start working on their own!
                      Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                    • I’ve seen in the forums of several of the javascript-based editors that their authors/teams are in contact with the Apple people, so it’s not being totally ignored.

Actually, I’m finding Camino to be very, very nice. Geko based, behaves like Firefox, but looks more like Safari.
                        Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                        Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                        Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org