We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 577 Posts
    Ok, I like the nifty feel to the frame to keep the main links organized. It’s nifty.

I really do like to be able to see all of the optional links!

But why 2 columns? I’m still either moving the frame up/down and scrolling anyway what’s a bit more wink

We’ve got 2 sets of navigation going on here. When you login you get to the main page (is it? hmmm)

INBOX
    Security | Web users | Modules | Resources | Backup

while back home in the frame we have

Site
    Content
    My Account
    Users
    -- next column --
    Resources
    Administrators
    Help

logout

Now, I’m confused. Which one do we use? I really like the icons but I also like the ability to see all available options.

I was wondering if a single row with drop downs wouldn’t be a bit easier and I’d hate to say it but a little more run of the mill. Nothing like following the norm at times.

why do modules get their own icon while TVs, chunks, snippets, and plugins, etc ... get to share 1 icon "resources"? HEY! I want equal treatment and don’t go for discrimination!
      Tangent-Warrior smiley
    • Modules contain all the other stuff... like an RPM with dependencies so to speak.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 577 Posts
        I can understand that from a programmers view point -- but if I were just a regular joe/jane then I’m going to say that I’m confused and will end up posting on the forums to have somebody answer this question or a similar one umpteenth times.

Gotta clear this one up ... hmmm, I’m not getting it. Maybe we need to have a "for dummies" link and a "pro" link for what we have now. This is making me think to hard.
          Tangent-Warrior smiley
        • I agree with you that the manager interface needs some serious consideration. Theoretically you’d set it up as a talented developer so that end users never see teh modules via the permission system. tongue
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • This brings up a possibly good idea:

We need to come up with a more sane set of Manager roles and install them by default, such as Admins, Creators/Writers, Editors, Publishers etc...
            • I always make a fairly limited manager role, then create a couple of users for that role, and that’s the username/password I give to my clients. I definitely don’t want them mucking around in the snippets and templates, let alone the system configuration or the file manager! These are the same guys who will email me for help changing the pictures on their "our employees" page!
                Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                • 577 Posts
                Ok, so a preset of roles will definitely help!

I’m really interested in seeing a plug-and-play type of situation where you download, install and run as admin.
                while the root level needs to be activated.

hmmm, I wonder if OSX’s basic setup would make a good role model?
                  Tangent-Warrior smiley