We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 119 Posts
    This should be relatively straightforward to do actually. Since we're reworking the tree, I don't know why we couldn't also only show documents / folders that a user can access. At least we should show them a disabled state if they cannot modify something.

That is a great feature add and one I thought was actually already in place. I guess I just haven't really tried it. On the topic of the tree, how is it being reworked? Any chance of making that the focal point of the interface? That is, get it out of that tiny frame on the lower right and into the main interface? Then actions on documents, etc. can be popped up in a new window. This is actually a much larger discussion, maybe should move to a new topic.
    • I think the whole tree needs a complete rethinking in general.

For a lot of admin functions, its completely unnecessary (e.g., site configuration, creating users, etc.).

For working with pages, it should be much more prevalent and serve as the starting board for changes with the resulting "target" page either being in a new window, or loading on top of the tree. When you're done editing the page, return to the tree view.

I would like to see a narrower, persistent navigation menu on the left column, with a tree view as appropriate taking up the majority of the browser space, add to this the ability to have checkboxes for "bulk operations" on pages (e.g., reassign templates, update a TV, etc.), and I think we get a little bit closer to a more intuitive Manager.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • While we're further on the subject of overhauling the tree, we should also consider using Ajax if at all possible. How about as a first step using it simply to sort the menu index.
          Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • Indeed, I've been fiddling around with this for a few days now; still haven't gotten anywhere, but I'll keep at it until I do. I really never cared for frames , unless maybe an iframe for really dynamic stuff like chat pages. But if I am understanding what I'm learning about Ajax correctly, it shouldn't even need an iframe, just a <div> section or something.

Does anyone have any suggestions for their favorite explanations/tutorial etc on Ajax (other than the ones already mentioned)? I usually have to get beaten over the head pretty thoroughly with something before I "get it", and the more sources of input the better.
            Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
            Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
            Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
            • 119 Posts

For a lot of admin functions, its completely unnecessary (e.g., site configuration, creating users, etc.).

Not that it's the best idea but a tree can be used for basically everything. For example, users:

+Users
            +Groups

expanded:

-Users
            +A-F
            - G-N
            - Erin
            - Kerry
            - Lembeck
            + O-Z

- Groups
            + Marketing
            + Human Resources

For working with pages, it should be much more prevalent and serve as the starting board for changes with the resulting "target" page either being in a new window, or loading on top of the tree. When you're done editing the page, return to the tree view.

Agree 110%!! Operations on the tree shouldn't be allowed while a page is being edited. Loading the page into a new window allows the user/editor to focus only on that task which is the most important to them.