We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1 Posts
    Not trying to beat a dead hoarse but I found a forum package i really like and would really like to get it working with modx. I really have no idea were to start though.

It’s called mercury board and I like it for allot of the same reasons I like modx. Clean code, small code base, and good features. Unlike modx I need to fix it as I really don’t like the way themes are created for it. They are basically a bunch of escaped sql calls and like modx the themes are installed and pulled directly from the db. The theme installer is nice and modx should look at doing the same as it would make it very easy to export and import themes. However as stated I really need to rework how the theme are installed as the current method is horrible. Well horrible to write a theme since it has to be escaped for sql. Once the themes are installed they are easy to deal with.

Anyway could we please get a forum plugin to look at so I  can start modding this thing for modx.

Thanks.
    • Maybe we could adapt the installer code to install all resources such as snippets, modules and plugins, too. Think it would work for that as well?
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 1 Posts
        well yes but there is one small downside in that it would require you to have those folders set to world writable. The way it is currently built. My next project would be to take the code and add an ftp class so that it unzips the stuff in a cache directory or maybe a temp directory and then ftp them into place this would solve the issue with permissions and make it much more secure.

Other than that yes it could very easily be used for just these kinds of things. I also just converted the main theme on my site and it was exceedingly easy I just edited the overall page and used my current modx theme and instant skinning of the forums. All through the web interface no fuss no muss.