We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 139 Posts
    Backed up all my files and folders as well as mysql file and then started overwriting my existing files. While trying to overwrite the assets/cache/rss/ folders I recieved an error. I then went into the folder and found two files with long numbers as names. I tried to delete them and recieved a permissions error message. Can’t figure this out as I have my own dedicated server with root access and I have permission. Should I continue to overwrite the rest of the folders and ignore this? Is it important?

9.6.3 to 1.0
    • If you’ll notice, the folder was created by the PHP process in previous releases and likely is owned (and only writable) by the user your web server is running as. Since it is now included in the download package for 1.0 (so it is not owned by the user running the PHP process, as this prevents users on shared servers from being able to delete the files in common configurations), it tried to extract over the folder as whatever user you are using and did not have permission to overwrite. You can safely ignore this, or chown the directory to your user and re-extract. The folder and files however need to remain writable by the PHP process.
        • 139 Posts
        Thank you for your reply. The previous version and the newer version are on the same server as before and I have root access. Nothing has changed (permission wise) since I installed the previous versions. I use SSH Secure Shell 3.2.9 instead of ftp to upload files. I also tried removing the files with ftp and got the same error. I have tried chowning the files but couldn’t figure out how to find them in my root. I am going to try deleting them in putty to see if I can remove them that way if they aren’t important to the rss directory. I wasn’t sure if they were important to running modx rss and couldn’t be deleted for some reason which is why I asked here in case someone else ran into this issue. Thanks again for your reply.

Update: Okay finally figured it out. Found the command to find my website files and chowned the owner/group to the right permissions and was able to delete the files. Not sure why ModX changes the permissions on the cache/rss folder and files inside to 99 99 as every other folder and file was mywebsite mywebsite. Oh well got it now. wink