We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 9 Posts
    Folks,

I’ve loaded the files per the instructions, upgraded all permissions to 777, created a blank config file, etc. When I go to install and configure, I cannot get any feedback from the check connection page.

I can log into my database server using other tools, and I have other systems talking to MySQL through web services, so I know the login information is correct. When I click the link to check the connection, there is nothing - no feedback whatsoever as to whether or not I’m failing.

The URL in the browser window changes to http://www.xyzxyz.com/modx100/install/index.php?action=connection#

I have tried this with 2 flavors of Firefox and one flavor of Chrome. Same results.

I have tried this on 2 different client computers - one running Win7 and one running OpenSuse.

I once had ModX 0963 running just fine on this server, and SugarCRM works perfectly.

I have uploaded a complete file set 3 times as well.

I’m running out of steam. Can anyone give me something to look for???

Thanks in advance...
    Rick
    • When making support requests, please make sure to provide information about your web server and your client machine:

Web Server:

• PHP version and how it’s running (suexec, mod_php, CGI, etc.)
      • Apache or IIS version
      • Operating System and version

Database:

• MySQL version
      • List of any tables over 1MB in size

MODx:

• Version
      • Any changes you’ve made
      • Any snippets you’re running on the page that is not working properly
      • Any plugins you’re running

Browser/Client:

• Browser name and version
      • Operating System and version

This will go a long way towards being able to quickly resolve or duplicate and bugs as applicable, and should result in a better overall support experience.

Further, if you’re seeing problems with snippets not seeming to work right, make sure you’re enclosing parameters in back-tics, not single-quotes. On US-English keyboards that’s the key typically found at the top-left of the number row: `

Thanks!
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 9 Posts
        With all due respect Ryan...

Did you read my post before you posted the blanket info? In it, I clearly indicated that I had version 0963 running just fine - it installed without a hitch. It is only with version 1.0.0.0 that I’m having difficulty.

• I have no data - I cannot get past the database connection page on installation
        • I have no modifications - this is ModX 1.0.0.0, from scratch and out of the box
        • I clearly listed the browsers and OSes I’ve tried this with. But for clarity, I’m running Firefox 3.5 and Chrome 2
        • I indicated that I have no problem connecting to the database server with other applications and via web services
        • I also indicated that I uploaded ModX twice, and that I set permissions to 777
        • last, I indicated that I tried this on 2 different computers with the exact same results

For giggles, I’m running the following:

• Apache/2.2.11 (FreeBSD) PHP/5.2.9 with Suhosin-Patch mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.7m mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.8.9
        • MySQL 5.0.77
        • php 5.2.9

Client machines are running OpenSuse10 with Firefox and Windows 7 with Firefox and Chrome.

Look, I know you’re probably inundated with a bunch of support requests and may have just glanced at the post and the number of posts I’ve made and assumed I’m in over my head. I understand the challenges with any dot-oh release - I grew up with Novell and Microsoft in the 80s...

If you need additional info, please let me know. I would love to give ModX 1.0 a proper evaluation.

Regards,
        Rick
        • (My response is a canned response that I type in "h u h y" for "Help Us Help You", so apologies for it being too generic.)

Yes I did. I didn’t see your MySQL or PHP version, or the webserver under which you’re running or how PHP was running. There’s been many occasions where web hosts upgrade servers with no warning, and that could have in fact been a coincidence. The installer for MODx is entirely new with Evo, so any feedback to identify specific anomalies would be appreciated.

Your web server details lead me to believe it’s the suhosin bit tripping things up. Hopefully someone will be able to chime in with some suggestions on suhosin, which I vaguely recall having been discussed in other topics.

Thanks for taking the time to accommodate the information request; in your particular case the client browsers don’t really have anything to do with the problem.

update: edited as it came across as smarmy, when that was not the intention
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • This is likely going to be a server issue. You didn’t mention if you created a database and/or database user specifically for the MODx install. Is it possible that you do not have proper permissions in MySQL with the user you provided? Normally this behavior occurs when someone does not have the mysql extensions enabled or the MySQL client version compiled with PHP does not match the MySQL server version. Just some thoughts.
              • 9 Posts
              Quote from: OpenGeek at Aug 18, 2009, 02:46 PM

This is likely going to be a server issue. You didn’t mention if you created a database and/or database user specifically for the MODx install. Is it possible that you do not have proper permissions in MySQL with the user you provided? Normally this behavior occurs when someone does not have the mysql extensions enabled or the MySQL client version compiled with PHP does not match the MySQL server version. Just some thoughts.

I do have a database created already.

MySQL is already working on this server, and is hosting SugarCRM instances now. It also was working perfectly with the 0963 version of ModX.

I do not have a special user defined for the database, and the user credentials work when logging in to the MySQL database using web services from an outside IP.

What is troubling is that I get absolutely no feedback from the page when I click on the link to check the connection. The only thing that happens is the change to the URL.

I’ll try to install one more time from scratch and see if I might have missed anything. Here are my steps:

• Create blank ModX database
              • Unzip ModX 1 to my local machine
              • Upload ModX via FTP to the web host (FileZilla)
              • Change all permissions on all folders and files to 777
              • Create blank config.php
              • Run install

Am I missing something?

Thanks for the reply - I’ll let you know what happens when I try a fresh install to a new directory and using a new database.

Rick
                • 9 Posts
                Quote from: rthrash at Aug 18, 2009, 01:35 PM

(My response is a canned response that I type in "h u h y" for "Help Us Help You", so apologies for it being too generic.)

Yes I did. I didn’t see your MySQL or PHP version, or the webserver under which you’re running or how PHP was running. There’s been many occasions where web hosts upgrade servers with no warning, and that could have in fact been a coincidence. The installer for MODx is entirely new with Evo, so any feedback to identify specific anomalies would be appreciated.

Your web server details lead me to believe it’s the suhosin bit tripping things up. Hopefully someone will be able to chime in with some suggestions on suhosin, which I vaguely recall having been discussed in other topics.

Thanks for taking the time to accommodate the information request; in your particular case the client browsers don’t really have anything to do with the problem.

update: edited as it came across as smarmy, when that was not the intention

Ryan,

Thanks for the reply. Apologies from me as well - this issue has me spinning my wheels, and I’m sure I didn’t have my daily coffee requirement when I responded.

What’s confusing is that I had 0963 running just fine before. I blew away the installation folder to start from scratch, as well as creating a new database.

I’m going to try this once more to see if I can get it cooking. One question tho - is there some sort of log I can take a peek at that would indicate what the problem might be? I’m getting no feedback at all from the browser when I click the check connection link, other than the change in the URL.

Thanks again... I’m looking forward to working with ModX very soon! smiley

Rick
                  • 9 Posts
                  Folks,

Found the issue and ModX installed without a hitch.

Somehow, something was going awry with the FTP upload. My webmaster found that I had a number of missing files in the manager/media folder.

He extracted the tar.gz on his end and voila!! Success!!!

I’m going to take a peek at my ZIP file to see if something was hosed on this end before upload. I will respond later this afternoon, after I figure out how to deal with Brett Favre in a Vikings uniform...

Rick
                    • 9 Posts
                    Turns out to be some sort of FTP glitch. The zip extracted correctly on both machines - something was preventing the entire manager folder from being uploaded to the server.

What’s even weirder - I had no indication from FileZilla that I had any issue.

Chalk it up to a gremlin, I guess...

Rick
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      Quote from: restorick at Aug 18, 2009, 08:18 PM

Turns out to be some sort of FTP glitch. The zip extracted correctly on both machines - something was preventing the entire manager folder from being uploaded to the server.

What’s even weirder - I had no indication from FileZilla that I had any issue.

Chalk it up to a gremlin, I guess...

Rick

I’ve also had that experience with FileZilla when uploading large numbers of files, though many people swear by it. For anything critical, I’m still using the old free version of WS_FTP.
                        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                        My MODX Extras
                        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting