We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 5 Posts
    Hello,

I upgraded my MODx installation from 1.0.0-RC1 to 1.0.0 and it works like a charm. laugh
    But since the upgrade the manager shows special characters like ë in the wrong way (ë).
    Whats even worse: I can’t use the characters anymore in a pagetitle. sad

When I use the title ’Oliën’ for a page and save it, the resulting title is ’Oli’.

I have set the language to ’Nederlands-utf8’ and the charset encoding to UTF-8.

Does anybody have an idea?

Regards,
    Harro
    • Can you confirm that the "TransAlias" plugin is enabled and that all if it’s files are there? (assets/plugins/transalias).
      Could you copy/paste it’s "Plugin configuration" string here?

For example, mine looks like:

&table_name=Name;list;common,russian;common &override_tv=Override TV name;string;

Mike Schell
        Lead Developer, MODX Cloud
        Email: [email protected]
        GitHub: https://github.com/netProphET/
        Twitter: @mkschell
        • 5 Posts
        Hello netProphet,

The "TransAlias" plugin is enabled.
        Also the folder "assets/plugins/transalias" folder is present with the following files:
        - transalias.class.php
        - /transliterations/common.php
        - /transliterations/russion.php

Plugin configuration string:
        &table_name=Name;text;common &override_tv=Override TV name;string;

Regards,
        Harro
        • Hmm.. the configuration settings are from a slightly older iteration, from one of the RCs I think.
          I wonder if your plugin files themselves got upgraded.
          In any case, I’ve just re-read your original post and I now I don’t think that the transliteration routine could be the problem.
          I’ve just tested out the manager on my local server in Nederlands-utf8 with Unicode/utf-8 encoding settings, and am not experiencing the same problem. I successfully created a document with the title oaishvaosië123.
          Did anything to do with your database change from RC-to-1.0? What database charset and collation do you have?
            Mike Schell
            Lead Developer, MODX Cloud
            Email: [email protected]
            GitHub: https://github.com/netProphET/
            Twitter: @mkschell
            • 5 Posts
            Thanks for looking into the problem

My database is using the utf8_general_ci collation.
            I also checked the difference between database dumps before and after the upgrade, but found no schema differences.

I will try a clean install of 1.0 and see if the problem persists.
              • 21 Posts
              in case you’re using apache:
              adding...
              AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

...to the .htaccess usually does the job for me.
                ▙▚▚▜ I don't think I can, you see, I'd have to want to ▙▚▚▜
                • 5 Posts
                I solved the problem. Of course it was obvious... rolleyes

In 1.0 the language file Nederlands-utf8 was added (besides the normal Nederlands), so I changed the character encoding for the website on the configuration screen.
                But the the language for the admin user (which I was using) was still on Nederlands. Because of that the manager pages where all server with the ISO-8859-1 encoding. tongue

Thanks for taking the time to investigate and answer my question.

Regards,
                Harro
                • Awesome news Harro. smiley
                    Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                    Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me