We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 429 Posts
    My tinyMCE has stopped working after upgrading to MODx Evo. Anyone experienced similar issues and any ideas on how to fix it?
      Martin Sanders - Design & Web Development
    • How many copies of TinyMCE are installed? I suspect you need to disable or delete any older ones.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 429 Posts
        Hi rthrash,

I’ve tried removing both the old and evo tinyMCE plugin installs and then tried installing tinyMCE afresh but with no luck sad

Its failing to show within the configuration menu under RTE options.
        • Do you have a user override set for the RTE?
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 152 Posts
            So far I’ve upgraded 6 staging sites, on one I had to activate TinyMCE under "Tools" -> "Configuration" -> "Interface & Features", and on one I had to activate "OnRichTextEditorInit", "OnRichTextEditorRegister" and "OnInterfaceSettingsRender" in the "System Events" for the plugin before I got it working.

If you try to reinstall it - you need to install it from the install folder you are upgrading MODx Evo from.

Hope it helps!
              - A small step for mankind, so why not take two...

Working with web production, graphic design/workflow, photo and education - but are trying to get a life in between!
              • 429 Posts
              Thanks Henrik,

I had to manually update the plugin "System Events", its all working nicely now smiley
                • 31 Posts
                Are there system events that need to be activated for Web Users other than the three mentioned above?

TinyMCE shows up in the Manager, but it doesn’t show up in the QuickManager. The option for TinyMCE is there, but nothing happens when it’s selected. The content editing window is the same as it is when "None" is selected, which is just plain HTML.

What’ve I missed? smiley

**On edit: I upgraded to QuickManager 1.3.1 in hopes that would sort it, but the TinyMCE editor is still not showing up in QuickManager.

I have looked in the support thread for QuickManager (both versions) and for TinyMCE, but have been unable to find anything about this. I would be very, very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction finding a way to solve this.

Really beginning to wish I hadn’t upgraded from 9.6.3 now. Having a controllable RTE for web users was *the* selling point for doing the site I’m doing now in MODx. If this isn’t a fixable problem, it’s a show-stopper. If that’s the case, is there a way to revert back to 0.9.6.3?

I’ve cross-posted this to the QuickManager 1.3.1 thread; mods please move/delete whichever one of these is redundant smiley

• 7 Posts
                  Joining this thread late in the day after I had similar problems but hopefully this will help someone else -

I could not get the TinyMCE to kick in on either the front end QM editor or the backend manager, even though it did appear in the list of editors and was selectable; I had tried deleting and re-installing many times using both the Tiny standalone installer and by re-running the modx installer, all to no effect.

What I did notice however was that each time I had deleted the the plug-in from the Elements panel, it had only disabled it, so I had ended up with multiple copies, but only one that was actually enabled. What I did was to go through and delete each one after it had been disabled, doing the same with the enabled one, which removed it completely from the list. I then logged out of the manager.

I then deleted all the TinyMCE folders from assets/plugins, logged in, saved the configuration and logged out again once more just so that the system got to start up without any presence of the TinyMCE, re-uploaded the plugins folder from the modx 1.0 install files and then re-ran the modx installer in upgrade mode, with only the TinyMCE plugin ticked in the list.

All is now working perfectly, no manual configuration was required and the system events boxes were automatically ticked as they should be. My guess is that before I deleted them fully, the disabled versions were conflicting with the enabled one.