We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 73 Posts
    Hello,

A friend of mine installed modx (because I suggested to them to use it as it’s great) and they are getting the following errors.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in \\nas38ent\domains\b\buyingaboat.org\user\htdocs\manager\includes\document.parser.class.inc.php on line 2181

when they try to access the index.php of the root

and when they try to access manager they get

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ’,’ or ’;’ in \\nas38ent\domains\b\buyingaboat.org\user\htdocs\manager\index.php on line 122

this is a totally fresh install, they’ve not even been able to log into manager to make any changes......

any ideas?

• 1,336 Posts
      Sounds like a bad install, do they get any errors during the install? Specifically look at the file /manger/includes/config.inc.php this should contain things like your database parameters, base paths etc. Download MODx again and re-run the install, watch for any errors.
        Use MODx, or the cat gets it!
      • I’d 2nd the call on a bad install. FTP is dodgy and sometimes files get dropped or truncated and the install will complete but then parser errors. Re download modx, re-upload it to the server and a new install.

Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub