We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 3 Posts
    Hi everybody,
    as i am searching for a little cms, i stumbled at first over etomite and secondly i found MODx.
    Now i am a little confused smiley.

What i learned during reading both documentions, is that both cms somehow are "the same" or share the same concept. Is there anybody willing to explain the differences or the pros and cons of both systems...

thx for advice in advance
    macmike

i hope i did not ask the wrong questions huh
      • 680 Posts
      It’s a bit of a long story but I’ll give you the short version.

We all started out as Etomite users. Etomite’s developer left the Etomite project and started their owen proprietary CMS project called metaCube. At that point a group of Etomite users/developers decided to start MODx as a fork of Etomite (MODx was initially a mod for Etomite, hence the name). Etomite now has some new developers but from what I understand they will only be coding 0.7 version and bugfixes but there won’t be any added functionality beyond that point.

A few of the enhancements that have been made to MODx since the fork are:
      Template Variables
      Modules
      Plugins
      Web users
      Frontend editing
      Improved installer
      Backup manager
      Improved default content and resources.

Both MODx and Etomite are now on opensourcecms.com. I’d encourage you to try both.
        • 1,131 Posts
        I’m sure others on here can tell you different things about the two, but to me the main difference between MODx and Etomite is that MODx is very modular by design. What this means is that the various parts of the CMS are broken down into parts that can be accessed through a robust API.

For instance, take a look at the RichText Editors in Etomite. The default is FCKEditor and in Etomite it’s embedded in the core code and thus is difficult to change the instance for FCKEditor without modifying the core code. However, in MODx the editors are implemented using a plugin system into the API of the CMS. This allows users and developers alike the ability to create different RTE’s for different purposes without editing the core code one bit.

Another difference is the use of Template Variables, which is something that Etomite doesn’t have. The idea here is to allow users the ability to assign different kinds of variables (text, images, richtext, dates, etc.) to a template that can be used for a variety of purposes. Template Variables when used along side with Snippets allows for an insane amount of power and flexibility that you simply can’t have with Etomite alone. Once you’ve played with Template Variables and understand how to use them you’ll appreciate the power within them.

One of the newest additions to MODx is Modules. Basically, a Module in MODx is more or less just an application that is ran on top of the MODx API. The mix of a module and a couple of snippets would allow you to create something such as a link directory with snippets outputting the link directory inself on the front-end and a module that allows administrators to add, modify, and/or delete links within the manager.

There are many more differences...so many to mention. Some new ones you’ll see very soon in the next TP release (3.3)...but most you’ll see in the up and coming TP4 release. Hope you’ll stick around to see it! smiley

Jeff
          Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
          • 835 Posts
          Hi

Another difference, The Modx community is more open.
          Before discovering Modx, I tried to communicate with the members of Etomite.
          Perhaps because I am french but, no response to my emails, no possible dialogue with the modo of the French forum. Complete black out
          Here it is the opposite.

Thank’s to the Modx team to do a so good job

Aour
            • 10 Posts
            I don’t know why but actually I get more help on etomite.org then here... Ralph is the co-owner of etomite.org and since april the most important developer. I had a problem once and he replied in 5 minutes with the solution.

I encountered the same problem with modx and I got help 2 days after I posted it.. (yes I knew the solution already but I was testing support)
            • I’m sorry that we weren’t able to help sooner.
                Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • Actually, I just performed a cursory review of the 9 posts you’ve made and it looks like a response was made the same day in all cases. Now I’m a bit confused?
                  Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                  • 3 Posts
                  And i am sure that i`ll need some help in the next couple of days laugh

macmike

And btw. should i wait for the next release or is it ok to use the latest RC??
                    • 680 Posts
                    The 3.3 release is very close. We should have a public release within a week, hopefully within a couple of days. So if I were you, I would wait.

You can see a demo of the 3.3 release here:
                    http://demo.opensourcecms.com/modx/
                    • LOL ... I disagree (but only on the waiting to start part... one remaining known issue to resolve).

I would want a head start on getting my content into the system and my personal template tweaks done. Upgrading is really simple. But that’s just me. wink