We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 145 Posts
    Sorry for to ask again. i know i am not the first with a blank page at startup. I have downloaded a fresh
    MODx Revolution 2.0.0-beta-1 (modx-2.0.0-beta-1.zip)

Set the directories according to http://svn.modxcms.com/docs/display/revolution/Fresh+Installation

The beginning of the installation process seems fine, but after choosing the language and hitting next the installation prozess stops here:
    http://modx.mydomain.com/cms/setup/index.php?action=options

I have some websites with modx evolution on this server, without any problems.

Here some relevant data:
    php 5.2.6
    mysql 4.1.22
    memory_limit 64
    max_execution_time 30
    safe_mode Off
    PDO drivers mysql, sqlite2

Here my phpinfo();
    http://pastie.org/527173.txt

Thanks you!
    eni
    • MySQL 4.1.22 is ancient; I would really recommend running MODx Revolution with MySQL 5.0.x and avoid any 4.x versions. That said, it would be nice to know more about the error. Do you have a PHP error log or an apache error log that might indicate any problems?
        • 145 Posts
        It’s on a shared host with Parallels-Plesk. I found an access_log somewhere
        [28/Jun/2009:18:26:04 +0200] "GET /cms/setup/index.php?action=options HTTP/1.1" 200 349 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060214 Firefox/3.0.11"

And an error_log but this one is one hour behind. There is some error about me deleting some files, but no php nor apache errors sad

Now i noticed something difference of phpinfo and modx Reports / System Info:
        Client API library version 4.1.22 (from phpinfo), but at the same time modx 0.9.6.3 (Reports / System Info) said Database Version: 5.0.48
        Does that make any sense?
        • Yes, your PHP is using an older client library to access your database, which is a newer version than that client was written for.
            Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
            Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
            Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
            • 145 Posts
            I contacted the guys from the hosting company. They said all php errors would be directly outputed, without any log. He said they tested it now under a server with Client API Version 5.0 and have the same result (blank page).

That made me suspicious and I now believe that something has gone wrong during upload. I downloaded again did use the apple Archive Utility and uploaded everything with FTP (cyberduck without FTPS).

It seems to get one step further now. I am sorry for the noise.

I could install it but got:

Installation Summary
            Errors were encountered during core installation. Please review the installation results below, correct the problems and proceed as directed.

But there are no errors listed, there is only a retry button. I guess it all comes down to the MYSQL version, looking at the DB in phpmyadmin it has created 54 tables. Also phpmyadmin sais it’s MySQL - 5.0.48 ... is it reasonable to ask the host comany to upgrade the client api version?

So far I had excellent experience with this host. It would be very awesome to stay there. I might try a local xampp otherwise.

eni
            • Quote from: eerne at Jun 29, 2009, 12:23 PM

But there are no errors listed, there is only a retry button. I guess it all comes down to the MYSQL version, looking at the DB in phpmyadmin it has created 54 tables. Also phpmyadmin sais it’s MySQL - 5.0.48 ... is it reasonable to ask the host comany to upgrade the client api version?
              Yes, I would say it is critical that they do upgrade the client API version to one that is fully-compatible with the database server, otherwise you are likely going to have problems using any PDO-based application.
                • 145 Posts
                Hi again

The guys from my host installed it on the same machine. First they installed the wrong one (evolution) but then showed me that they managed to install revo. At least I saw the manager login.

That made me try again. The good news I finally managed to install it! hurray it looks awesome!
                The bad, setting permissions as described on http://svn.modxcms.com/docs/display/revolution/Fresh+Installation was not enough and I think the reason that last page of installation said installation failed with empty error list.

It only installed successfully if I make everything (recursively) writable, _before_ the first setup. An other annoyance was that I couldn’t just delete everything. For example the files created in core/cache/setup/smarty seemed to have other owner. So i could neither delete nor change the permissions. My workaround was to delete the subdomain in plesk-control panel.

The Fresh Installation guide says
                Make sure the directories "/[root]", "/core/packages","/core/cache", and "/core/export" are writable.
                but for example /core/cache contains many sub directories, so does that mean they all should be writable too?

I am not quite sure what to do with my fully writable modx-revolution install. Should I try to change all permission back again?

Thank you a lot! The new modx backend looks really astonishing.
                • Unless you run suPHP (where PHP runs as your user account rather than the Apache user account), or have full rights to your server, I recommend running the traditional package which will avoid this whole problem. Shared servers that run PHP as the Apache user should NOT use the advanced package.

And you can manage those files with the built-in File Manager (or any file management application that runs as the Apache/PHP user), just not with your account (again unless you are running suPHP).
                    • 145 Posts
                    Sorry for the delay, I had to finish something and travel to Rhodes Island.

A little summary: I managed to install revolution-beta1 ONLY when I set everything writable. This is not advanced modx revo.

And you can manage those files with the built-in File Manager (or any file management application that runs as the Apache/PHP user), just not with your account (again unless you are running suPHP).

I don’t know what you mean with ’those’. Are talking about Transport Packages? So far I didn’t look into that, just installed basic revolution.
                    • Quote from: eerne at Jul 16, 2009, 12:59 PM

A little summary: I managed to install revolution-beta1 ONLY when I set everything writable. This is not advanced modx revo.
                      Hmmm, I just tested with the beta-2 traditional package, and it appears you are correct. This is a problem with the installer checks it seems. With traditional this should not be necessary, and I’ll release another version in the next few days to correct this and introduce a few other enhancements that should make setup work in a few more environments.

For now, you’ll have to set the / (root of the installation), /manager/, and /connectors/ directories writable though, but be sure to set them back once setup is complete.

Quote from: eerne at Jul 16, 2009, 12:59 PM

I don’t know what you mean with ’those’. Are talking about Transport Packages? So far I didn’t look into that, just installed basic revolution.
                      With the advanced distribution, the files outside of /core/ are extracted from the core transport package via the PHP process, and thus they are owned by the user executing the PHP process. Because of this, these files will be manageable by the PHP process, but not necessarily by your user account (in environments where PHP runs as the apache user).

With the traditional package, this is not applicable because you physically extract the files directly into place, as your account user.