We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4,149 Posts
    Quote from: smashingred at Oct 07, 2008, 04:12 PM

@splittingred,

To me the single click to show resource info and double click and right/command click to show context menu makes most sense. As BobRay has pointed out we need to make it nearly impossible for users to make a mistake. I think multiple actions for the context menu would work if it can be done.

Unfortunately, since single-click does a URL redirect, most browsers have problems with handling dblclick events over a location.href redirect single-click.

Which means that a single-click load and dbl-click menu wont work.
      shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
    • See, the [Command+Click] problem is not for me since I rarely use my laptop with no mouse and so it is not an issue but for me the inconsistency is a problem so we ought to make all actions in the resource tree have the same action.

The idea being that once people get used to one action they can use it without thinking about it. With two separate action results within similar spaces in the resource tree users will have to keep checking and keep thinking and that cognitive cost will be perceived as clunkiness.

I can’t yet suggest a possible solution. I’ll play and think on it.

Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
      • Quote from: sottwell at Oct 07, 2008, 04:06 PM

Mac laptops only have the one button. I use a USB mouse, but if I don’t want to carry that around with me, I’m stuck with a trackpad with a single button.
        I’ve got my Macbook setup so I can do a right-click by putting two fingers on the trackpad and then clicking the button. I find that a better option to the [command] + [click] option.
          Garry Nutting
          Senior Developer
          MODX, LLC

Email: [email protected]
          Twitter: @garryn
          Web: modx.com
          • 24,544 Posts
          As long as double-click means edit, I’m a happy camper. smiley

With single-click always opening the menu, we’d be consistent across platforms and places in the tree, no?

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 4,205 Posts
            Quote from: garryn at Oct 07, 2008, 04:54 PM

Quote from: sottwell at Oct 07, 2008, 04:06 PM

Mac laptops only have the one button. I use a USB mouse, but if I don’t want to carry that around with me, I’m stuck with a trackpad with a single button.
            I’ve got my Macbook setup so I can do a right-click by putting two fingers on the trackpad and then clicking the button. I find that a better option to the [command] + [click] option.
            That’s great, it is now my setup. Thanks.
              [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
              Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]