We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4,205 Posts
    Great job with the alpha4 release, the new look is very nice.

My only comment is that there are still some places where resources are called documents, I will take note of the instances I notice and post in jira. This threw me off track a few times while trying to get around the new terminology.

It seems that the document, ooops I mean resource info tabs are not being populated with the resource data. I entered all the data (title, longtitle etc.) but in the resource info the data is not present and in the longtitle it reads ’not set’ rather than the title I just set. All the data is there when editing the document.

Another thing I noticed (may not be new) is that the lexicon_entries table has over 2250 entries in it, that seems like a lot. In looking through the table it helped understand what lexicons are all about (seems to be like language files to allow changing all of the labels in the manager).

Also would it be possible to have an option to show more rows in the config panels? The multi page settings are a bit of a pain to go through (the search is nice). Maybe the option to select how many to show per page (like in google analytics).

Anyway, alpha 4 is the most impressive incarnation of Revolution to date, the hard work is paying off. grin grin
      [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
      Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
    • Quote from: dev_cw at Oct 03, 2008, 01:51 AM

My only comment is that there are still some places where resources are called documents, I will take note of the instances I notice and post in jira. This threw me off track a few times while trying to get around the new terminology.
      Thanks for doing so; will help remind us it needs to be done before beta.  All of the default lexicon entries for english (en) need to be reviewed and refactored to reflect many of the new concepts and changes, before we hand it to the translators.

Quote from: dev_cw at Oct 03, 2008, 01:51 AM

Another thing I noticed (may not be new) is that the lexicon_entries table has over 2250 entries in it, that seems like a lot. In looking through the table it helped understand what lexicons are all about (seems to be like language files to allow changing all of the labels in the manager).
      Wait until you add a language pack; that’s 2250 more entries, but it’s really not a lot of database records.  It’s not any worse than the number of lines in the current language files though.  These entries are cached into files and loaded in a similar way to the legacy language file, only they are divided into particular topics or areas of focus.  For instance, there is a set of lexicon entries focused on labels used in the User management panels, and only those have to be loaded when working with it (rather than the entire monolithic legacy language file).

Further, these topics (or foci) and the lexicon entries they are related to are divided into namespaces.  The 2250 entries shipped with the MODx Core are part of the core namespace.  Developers can provide their own lexicon entries for the components they create by creating a unique namespace and set of topics in that namespace which identify a specific component’s labels.  These can then be created and managed in the MODx Manager, just as the core entries can, and easily exported to/imported from lexicon files as well as built into component transport packages for distribution.
        • 4,205 Posts
        Sounds great, and the lexicon interface makes it very easy to edit directly within the manager.
          [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
          Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
          • 15 Posts
          I want to get around to testing alpha4 and determine if I could do some prototype development. Questions is what is the recommended environment for the release? The reason I’m asking because I’m running the latest and greatest php from the centos 5 repos which from my understanding and testing contain bugs in the PDO layer. 
          • Hi airoctive, I can only speak from my own experience and that PHP 5.2.5/Apache 2/MySQL 5.0.45 works great for me.
              Garry Nutting
              Senior Developer
              MODX, LLC

Email: [email protected]
              Twitter: @garryn
              Web: modx.com
            • Quote from: airoctive at Oct 03, 2008, 04:19 PM

I want to get around to testing alpha4 and determine if I could do some prototype development. Questions is what is the recommended environment for the release? The reason I’m asking because I’m running the latest and greatest php which from my understanding has bugs in the PDO layer.
              5.2.6 with Apache 1 and 2, against 5.0.45 works great, as well.

However, Revolution does not require PDO, or even PHP 5. It just takes advantage of PDO if you are running PHP 5.1+. There is also a way to force it to use the PDO emulation layer even if PDO is available should you encounter PDO-related bugs in a particular PHP release (e.g. 5.1.6 is notoriously bad).
                • 15 Posts
                Upon doing some research the problem is that RHEL nor CentOS  dont have support at this time for anything higher than 5.1.6. Anybody know of any reliable repos out there with PHP 5.2+ for the above distros?
                • Quote from: airoctive at Oct 03, 2008, 05:01 PM

Upon doing some research the problem is that RHEL nor CentOS have support at this time for anything higher than 5.1.6. Anybody know of any reliable repos out there with PHP 5.2+ for the above distros?
                  Running 5.2.6 on CentOS personally; of course, it was built from source and I didn’t have to do it, so I couldn’t tell you how.
                    • 15 Posts
                    Quote from: airoctive at Oct 03, 2008, 05:01 PM

Anybody know of any reliable repos out there with PHP 5.2+ for the above distros?

For anyone maintaining their CentOS 5 system using packages and wanting PHP 5.2+I used the REMI (http://blog.famillecollet.com/post/2005/10/02/8-telechargement-installation-et-yum) repo following the English instructions (http://blog.famillecollet.com/pages/Config-en) with success.