We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 11 Posts
    Hello,

I’ve been trying to find a good CMS with a built-in ORM framework that allows me to do some "not out-of-the-box" stuff. To name a few:

- easy custom CRUD-style forms integration as CMS modules
    - seamless translation of relationships on the forms (e.g. one HTML drop-down menu selection wll change content of a secundary drop-down, with or without AJAX)
    - easy creation of a drag-and-drop sort function for custom data grids (e.g. have a "position" column on a table to define in which order those data rows are presented on the website)

Any of these is achievable with custom coding on the CMS code itself, if open enough.

My question is, how easy/difficult can this be with current ModX Revolution code?

• 4,149 Posts
      Quote from: sprbck at Aug 25, 2008, 02:42 AM

Hello,

I’ve been trying to find a good CMS with a built-in ORM framework that allows me to do some "not out-of-the-box" stuff. To name a few:

- easy custom CRUD-style forms integration as CMS modules
      - seamless translation of relationships on the forms (e.g. one HTML drop-down menu selection wll change content of a secundary drop-down, with or without AJAX)
      - easy creation of a drag-and-drop sort function for custom data grids (e.g. have a "position" column on a table to define in which order those data rows are presented on the website)

Any of these is achievable with custom coding on the CMS code itself, if open enough.

My question is, how easy/difficult can this be with current ModX Revolution code?

Not hard.

More detailed reply tomorrow, but for now, these tutorials might be of interest:

http://svn.modxcms.com/docs/display/~splittingred/2008/06/26/Writing+a+3rd+Party+Component+in+MODx+Revolution%2C+Pt.+I
      http://svn.modxcms.com/docs/display/~splittingred/2008/07/10/Creating+Custom+Manager+Pages+for+a+3rd+Party+Component%2C+Pt.+I
        shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
        • 11 Posts
        Thanks for that, checking those links. Looking forward for your additional notes.
          • 11 Posts
          Hi,

I found this tutorials extremely interesting. I’m going to install this from SVN now and play around.

I know "alpha" is self-explanatory, but would you consider the current revolution branch code on SVN usable enough for a real website?

Still looking forward for your extra notes wink

tks

• I know Jason (OpenGeek) has been using it for live sites for a while now.
              Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
              Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
              Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
              • 11 Posts
              Should i be getting the 0.9.7-alpha branch or the revolution one?
              • 0.9.7 has been renamed -- ignore any branches that begin with 0.9.7. revolution is the current development branch.
                  • 11 Posts
                  Is this something to worry about?

$ php transport.core.php
                  [2008-08-27 04:59:01] (ERROR @ transport.core.php) Could not copy directory C:/wamp/www/mr-quiaios1/manager/templates/default/element/tv/renders/properties to
                  :/wamp/www/mr-quiaios1/core/packages/core/modContext/5a8f9c493547b1ac82330f55c27a1e23/templates/default/element/tv/renders/properties
                  [2008-08-27 04:59:01] (ERROR @ transport.core.php) Could not copy directory C:/wamp/www/mr-quiaios1/manager/templates/default/element/tv/renders to C:/wamp/www
                  mr-quiaios1/core/packages/core/modContext/5a8f9c493547b1ac82330f55c27a1e23/templates/default/element/tv/renders

rgrds.
                  • Quote from: sprbck at Aug 27, 2008, 03:15 AM

I know "alpha" is self-explanatory, but would you consider the current revolution branch code on SVN usable enough for a real website?

Still looking forward for your extra notes wink
                    Usable enough for a non-critical site maybe (that said, I can fix something bad myself if I find something horribly wrong, so not sure you should do as I do in this case, unless of course you want to report bugs/submit patches/join the development team wink ). However there are not many converted components available yet, and I do not recommend trying to install and run it on a shared server in it’s current alpha state. Our first priority is getting component developers up to speed on the massive changes in Revolution (or attracting new aspiring developers to the platform).

We’re now finalizing some improvements to the new security features, i18n, packaging and distribution of add-ons and core extensions, and continuing to work through the wonderful feedback we’ve gotten from folks on our bug tracker. Once these final critical features are stabilized, we’ll be hitting beta and refocusing attention on documentation, migration tools from existing MODx sites, and preparing "reference" components and demo content packages for the world to translate and consume when we finally release Revolution.

Quote from: sprbck at Aug 27, 2008, 04:03 AM

Is this something to worry about?

$ php transport.core.php
                    [2008-08-27 04:59:01] (ERROR @ transport.core.php) Could not copy directory C:/wamp/www/mr-quiaios1/manager/templates/default/element/tv/renders/properties to
                    :/wamp/www/mr-quiaios1/core/packages/core/modContext/5a8f9c493547b1ac82330f55c27a1e23/templates/default/element/tv/renders/properties
                    [2008-08-27 04:59:01] (ERROR @ transport.core.php) Could not copy directory C:/wamp/www/mr-quiaios1/manager/templates/default/element/tv/renders to C:/wamp/www
                    mr-quiaios1/core/packages/core/modContext/5a8f9c493547b1ac82330f55c27a1e23/templates/default/element/tv/renders
                    Probably not, but is likely related to some work that was committed today. Always the dangers of using development branches; but thanks for reporting it and we’ll get that cleaned up.
                      • 11 Posts
                      Quote from: OpenGeek at Aug 27, 2008, 04:22 AM

Probably not, but is likely related to some work that was committed today. Always the dangers of using development branches; but thanks for reporting it and we’ll get that cleaned up.

I understand. Actually I can’t even login after installation, gives a bunch of JS errors (including "Error: doLogin is not a function"). I already signed up on JIRA, should I be reporting there?