We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 375 Posts
    Hello!

I just installed the second alpha. It is my first try with MODx Next. I downloaded the "advanced" package, trandferred the ZIP to the server and unpacked it there via SSH. Then I called the setup and that worked very fine.

My first try to call the manager ended with a CGI wrapper error, because the "/manager/index.php" was world writeable. I changed that an now I get the well known login prompt for the manager.

BTW: I’ve installed MODx Revolution on a virtual machine where I installed many 0.9.6 before that work very well there.

When I now try to login, I get a JavaScript error, and I won’t be able to successfully login.
    _ is not defined
    http://modx.netzkaestchen.de/manager/assets/modext/util/utilities.js Line 16

showSpinner()utilities.js (line 16)
    Observable()ext-all.js (line 12)
    Observable()ext-all.js (line 12)
    Connection(Object)ext-all.js (line 17)
    send("loginfrm", "login", function(), undefined)formhandler.js (line 34)
    doLogin()login.js (line 13)
    onclick(click clientX=0, clientY=0)manager (line 1)
    [Break on this error] title: _('please_wait')

Above shows what firebug shows me.

Any ideas?

Thanx
    Martin
      • 4,149 Posts
      1. OS?
      2. PHP Version?
      3. MySQL Version?
      4. Did you install the regular package, advanced, or sdk?
      5. Is your core/cache dir writable?
      6. Any errors in core/cache/logs/error.log?
        shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
        • 375 Posts
        Sorry, it’s

- Redhat based, server optimized Distribution with Linux 2.6.24.2 114 Kernel
        - PHP 5.2.6
        - MySQL 5.0.51a
        - Apache 1.3.37
        - Bowsers: Fx 2.0.0.16, IE 7, Opera 9.51 (all on Win Vista)
        - core/cache dir is writeable (was 755, now 777)
        - there is no dir /core/cache/logs and therefore no file /core/cache/logs/error.log

Thanks for helping
        Martin
          • 4,149 Posts
          Martin,

Is there anything in the core/cache directory?
            shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
          • Folks, most of you with shared hosts will not want the advanced package. This is for people who have total control of their servers (i.e. can change file ownership/permissions) or run under FastCGI. You have to give permission for the PHP process to write files in the root of your account and everywhere below in order for the installer to work properly in the advanced package. Get the traditional package instead; all the files are in the zip file and extracted to the final location in this one, so you only have to worry about the other permissions (as warned in the installer).

Also, realize, alpha software is generally for trying out locally on your computer, not for posting to a shared hosting account, and that using MySQL 5.0.51a is bad, for MODx Revolution as well as legacy releases.
              • 375 Posts
              The core/cache has mgr and smarty folders and files config.cache.php, index.html, sitePublishing.idx.php.

Ryan, I’ll check the standard package tomorrow. I don’t use my local test server for testing, because it is a WAMP server. And my productive sites all are hosted by (different) providers, but all on unix environment. That’s why I nearly don’t use my testing server at all any more.

One question: What’s bad with MySQL 5.0.51a?

Martin
              • Quote from: FuryDE at Jul 18, 2008, 02:51 PM

Ryan, I’ll check the standard package tomorrow. I don’t use my local test server for testing, because it is a WAMP server. And my productive sites all are hosted by (different) providers, but all on unix environment. That’s why I nearly don’t use my testing server at all any more.
                It’s Jason BTW  wink
                And if you want to work with the advanced package on your host, you have to make your root document directory writable by the PHP user process (likely 777).  With standard package, you can avoid this.

Quote from: FuryDE at Jul 18, 2008, 02:51 PM

One question: What’s bad with MySQL 5.0.51a?
                It’s got some pretty nasty bugs in it; in particular one that is affecting existing MODx releases, preventing the proper sorting of documents in the manager or Wayfinder or even Ditto output.  We get questions about "why did MODx suddenly stop sorting documents" and we always answer, cause your host just upgraded you to a buggy release of MySQL, 5.0.51 smiley Note this has affected other major applications as well, not just MODx, or PHP applications; these are significant defects in MySQL.
                  • 375 Posts
                  Quote from: OpenGeek at Jul 18, 2008, 03:27 PM

It’s Jason BTW  wink
                  Oops, sorry .

I’ll talk to my provider beacuse of MySQL. They shouldn’t use buggy software. We’ll see what they can do.

Thank you
                  Martin

BTW: I’m always not sure what to post as a bug. You know I have posted one issue yesterday, that seems not to be a bug at all. But I didn’t know that. I’m totally unsure about that, but I really would give my feedback to you.
                    • 4,149 Posts
                    Quote from: FuryDE at Jul 19, 2008, 08:38 AM

BTW: I’m always not sure what to post as a bug. You know I have posted one issue yesterday, that seems not to be a bug at all. But I didn’t know that. I’m totally unsure about that, but I really would give my feedback to you.

Keep submitting - if the team determines that it’s not a bug, we’ll close it. We’d rather you submit something and us close it rather than you never submit at all. smiley
                      • 375 Posts
                      Okay, that’s exactly what I needed to hear. So I’ll keep on submitting.

Thanks
                      Martin