We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 39 Posts
    Hi folks,

I got hold of the latest version yesterday (after finally downloading 0.9.7 about an hour before the rebranding!) and was suitably impressed. Seems a little slow (probably my machine) but looks good and I like some of the new elements. I’m currently playing with converting my website over on a local EasyPHP installation.

Can anyone confirm if this is a bug, or (more likely) me getting something wrong?

My existing site uses friendly aliases, so that I have proper page urls on the site. My htaccess is set to cope with this, converting the page name to a "q" query for MODx to work with. I don’t have paths set up as my host doesn’t seem to work well with it. This has been working fine on both the live site and my laptop copy.

With the latest version (installed under EasyPHP on my laptop), this doesn’t seem to be working correctly, although using page ids works fine. I only have about three pages on the site at present:
    Id 1 is ’home’, the default page.
    Id 2 is ’error404’, my error page.
    Id 3 is ’test’.

If I enter ’localhost’ in the browser address bar, I get to the default page.
    ’localhost\wrong’ (for example) takes me to ’error404’ as you’d expect.
    ’localhost\test’ also takes me to ’error404’, but ’localhost\3’ takes me to the test page.

Further testing has shown that this happens just with aliases.

Has anyone come across this and managed to fix it?

I don’t have the system software version details handy (I’ll put those up tonight - the PHP is primitive but worked with 0.9.6.1 - I wanted to get this posted now) but it looks like a setup error on my part.

As I say, I have the htaccess file from my old install (with the working rewrite code from the example I got with the 0.9.6 install). Friendly URLs is set to ’yes’ as is Friendly Aliases. Friendly Paths is ’No’. All pages have aliases and are published.

What am I missing?

Thanks smiley
      • 4,149 Posts
      Quote from: Astronut at Jul 17, 2008, 12:26 PM
      Seems a little slow (probably my machine) but looks good and I like some of the new elements.

Can’t answer your other question right now, but are you running Firebug?
        shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
        • 39 Posts
        Quote from: splittingred at Jul 17, 2008, 01:11 PM

Can’t answer your other question right now, but are you running Firebug?

No, I’ve always preferred the Web Developer toolbar (unless Firebug is included in that or FF3?). The speed is not an issue for me at the moment though smiley
        • With the default configuration, all HTML content type pages will have an extension of .html -- you can modify this in the content types management section. But the friendly URLs in Revolution are now very strict; those aliases shouldl work if you add .html to the end.
            • 39 Posts
            Quote from: OpenGeek at Jul 17, 2008, 02:49 PM

With the default configuration, all HTML content type pages will have an extension of .html -- you can modify this in the content types management section. But the friendly URLs in Revolution are now very strict; those aliases shouldl work if you add .html to the end.

That was exactly what it was... I was failing to add the .html. I knew it was worth going to the source!

For reference (and maybe the wiki in the long term), the problem was originally spotted because my CSS file is also in MODx as a resource. Following my 0.9.6.1 installation, I’d set up an alias including the .css (i.e. style.css). It was then failing to appear.

From what you said above, I guessed something similar would apply to CSS content type pages - and sure enough my css file was being served as style.css.css. I’ve fixed the alias (to style) and it’s fine.

This is definitely an improvement, if a little confusing coming from the old one!

So the lesson of the story is:

Don’t put suffixes in your aliases!

Thanks all, I shall go away and play again now smiley

Jon
            • Quote from: Astronut at Jul 17, 2008, 07:53 PM

This is definitely an improvement, if a little confusing coming from the old one!

So the lesson of the story is:

Don’t put suffixes in your aliases!
              Or remove the suffixes from the content types if you do... wink