We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 788 Posts
    I am not all that familiar with the tools from Atlassian yet, so is there somewhere documenting the best way to post patches for review? I am just starting to look at some of the code for 0.9.7 and if I come across anything, this documentation would make it easier for me to submit these patches.

On a cursory glance, some of the commits seem to be locking us into the legacy directory structure (i.e., $modx->config[’base_path’]."assets/snippets/.."). If I am correct, this should now look more like:

MODX_ASSETS_PATH . 'snippets/..'

Some of the commits include:
    Wayfinder 2.0 - http://svn.modxcms.com/crucible/browse/modx-components/wayfinder/branches/2.0/wayfinder.snippet.php?r=99
    Wayfinder 1.0.1 - http://svn.modxcms.com/crucible/browse/modx-components/wayfinder/branches/1.0.1/wayfinder.snippet.php?r=60
    Ditto 1.0.2 - http://svn.modxcms.com/crucible/browse/modx-components/ditto/branches/1.0.2/snippet.ditto.php?r=77

I understand that this is a work in progress, and am just looking for some guidance on helping out. Also, if there is any interest on the team, I wouldn’t mind being considered for joining the team (after passing the State Bar this summer, maybe I can contribute in more ways than coding) smiley
      Jesse R.
      Consider trying something new and extraordinary.
      Illinois Wine

Have you considered donating to MODx lately?
      Donate now. Every contribution helps.
    • Quote from: Jesse at May 02, 2008, 06:19 PM

I am not all that familiar with the tools from Atlassian yet, so is there somewhere documenting the best way to post patches for review? I am just starting to look at some of the code for 0.9.7 and if I come across anything, this documentation would make it easier for me to submit these patches.
      We’re preparing an official Contributor’s Guide and hashing out some ideas/issues as we speak. We’ll have a lot to say about this very as soon as we come to a consensus.

Quote from: Jesse at May 02, 2008, 06:19 PM

On a cursory glance, some of the commits seem to be locking us into the legacy directory structure (i.e., $modx->config[’base_path’]."assets/snippets/.."). If I am correct, this should now look more like:
      MODX_ASSETS_PATH . 'snippets/..'

Good points. Actually, it should be either MODX_ASSETS_PATH, which is fixed for a global MODx configuration (will be useful for add-ons/extensions that may apply to multiple contexts and need a common location to share certain assets), or more frequently, $modx->config[’assets_path’], which can be set in system, context, or even user settings.

However, there are also other considerations now since the xPDO packages can define custom locations to lookup classes. Also, I might argue that snippet includes are not really assets at all, and are instead just snippets of PHP code that do not need to be deployed in the directories served by the web server. Since you can now install a single core/ anywhere on a machine the web server/PHP user can access, you might also choose to store misc php files in your model for convenience. This deserves some discussion, as well as a little more trial and error, to establish best practices.

Quote from: Jesse at May 02, 2008, 06:19 PM

Also, if there is any interest on the team, I wouldn’t mind being considered for joining the team (after passing the State Bar this summer, maybe I can contribute in more ways than coding) smiley
      Alright, you’ve convinced me; don’t be surprised when the welcome wagon comes knocking... wink