We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 592 Posts
    Hi,

I try to undertand the concepts of the 097 and I planing to recreate one of my 096 site under the 097, but I’m facing a problem: how to install the 097 Ditto/Wayfinder versions ?

I found this link : http://svn.modxcms.com/svn/modx-components/ and I played with Wayfinder build.config.sample.php, build.transport.php and convert.php but I can’t understand how to install the snippet.

I’m lost, :’(, I really don’t understand what files I need, where I have to put them and witch file I have to run to install the snippet( if there is an install system)

Could you put me on the way ?

many thx for your help

• 62 Posts
      @laurentc

I just downloaded 0.9.7-alpha-1 and installed it in MAMP and so far I LOVE IT! However, I seem to be having the same problems you are with getting core snippets installed in the alpha version.

The only documentation that I could find for installing these core snippets was ----> http://svn.modxcms.com/docs/display/MODx097/Package+Management.

According to this page, "Package uninstallation is shaky at best in 0.9.7-alpha; some files may or may not be removed. Use at your own risk, as you might have to go manually delete files if not removed.
      Also, packages cannot at the moment be updated remotely. Trust us; we’re working at full-speed to make sure all the features are seamless for beta and onward." which is very understandable being that 0.9.7 is an Alpha build.

However, I followed the instructions listed on that page and tried putting the Wayfinder 1.0.1 Beta Zip File in my core/packages/ directory, and then running the Workspaces section of the manager. From there, I clicked on "Add New Package", and selected the "Search Locally for Packages" option. MODx should have then scanned the core package directory, and added any packages I put there. Sadly, it didn’t work. Then I tried unzipping the Wayfinder zip file into it’s own folder located at core/packages/ and tried installing it again through the manager. Again, no luck.

Are we missing something here? Should this be working?
        • 615 Posts
        Did you download from here: http://wtf.modxcms.com/downloads/?relPath=add-ons? Tried it on my XAMPP-MODx 0.9.7.alpha test-installation, and both wayfinder-1.0.1-beta.transport.zip and tinymce-2.0.9-rc2.transport.zip installed perfectly.
          I think, thererfor I am! But what I am, and why...?
          • 62 Posts
          @Sylvaticus

That did the trick! I’m not sure where in the world I downloaded them from before or why it didn’t work, but they both just installed perfectly. Thanks!
            • 592 Posts
            Yep, with the new alpha and the add-ons packages it’s working now
              • 10 Posts
              I’m trying to install ditto, the one from here http://wtf.modxcms.com/downloads/?relPath=add-ons
              according to this

The package zips are loaded simply by uploading them to your core/packages/ directory, and then running the Workspaces section of the manager. From there, click on "Add New Package", and select the "Search Locally for Packages" option. MODx will then scan the core package directory, and add any packages you have.

this part is fine but this

Then, you can easily install packages by right-clicking on the package and clicking "Install".

dosn’t work
              I get "could not install package..." error and empty folder, say, ditto-1.0.2-beta1 under core/packages.
              Same story for every package I tried. The folder created is owned by _www and perms are 755 even if I change settings in Tools->Configuration to 777/666

running mac leopard + entropy php, everything else seem to work fine

is there any way to unzip/install a package without modx package manager?
              • It works great on every install I am running, Mac OS X 10.5 with MAMP, XP with XAMPP 1.6.3, and CentOS with PHP 5.2.5/MySQL 5.0.58, and have no issues like you describe. There is an error log in core/cache/logs/error.log that might contain additional information on why it isn’t working. Feel free to share that and/or more details of the environment.

And no, not really a way to manually install a package other than through the application, other than reproducing the data that is stored in it. You can still create things the old fashioned way though, but I imagine the issue with your environment will be easy enough to diagnose and resolve.
                  • 10 Posts
                  error log

[2008-05-17 14:34:36] (ERROR @ /index.php) Could not create directory /Users/Scoff/Sites/modxtest/core/cache/[contextKey]/resources
                  [2008-05-17 14:41:04] (ERROR @ /connectors/workspace/packages.php) Could not unpack package /Users/Scoff/Sites/modxtest/core/packages/ditto-1.0.2-beta1.transport.zip to /Users/Scoff/Sites/modxtest/core/packages/. SIG:

also I have a dir /core/cache/[contextKey]
                  cool name but looks like somthing’s not good

I can understand "Could not unpack package" but don’t know how to fix it. Zip is enabled.

Zip enabled
                  Extension Version $Id: php_zip.c,v 1.1.2.38 2007/08/06 22:02:32 bjori Exp $
                  Zip version 2.0.0
                  Libzip version 0.7.1
                  • Doesn’t rely on zip anyway; sounds like you don’t have proper permissions on the packages directory so that the installer can create directories in it.

The other error occurs if you try to visit the front-end before you add any actual published documents.
                      • 10 Posts
                      Well, it does create empty folders under core/packages so I guess it’s not permissions related.

The folder created is owned by _www and perms are 755 even if I change settings in Tools->Configuration to 777/666

And I even cannot delete these folders without sudo.