We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Quote from: splittingred at Dec 03, 2007, 11:27 PM

Quote from: milicicd at Dec 03, 2007, 10:35 PM

I installed 0.9.7 Alpha and it works fine. Do I have to run "php transport.core.php" each time I want to update my installation?
    No, only when a commit message says you have to, or says "core rebuild" or "core transport rebuild" required.
    And keep in mind, the actual downloadable distributions of MODx will not require the manual build process; this is just an inconvenience of the SVN version, offset by the ability to configure the directory locations of any of the MODx contexts and distribute them as installable packages. More on the magic MODx transport packages, auto-update services, and distribution of both the MODx core and any MODx add-on, content, or even custom data, very soon...
    • And keep in mind, the actual downloadable distributions of MODx will not require the manual build process; this is just an inconvenience of the SVN version
      So it’ll basically be exactly the same as 0.9.6?

offset by the ability to configure the directory locations of any of the MODx contexts and distribute them as installable packages.
      During the installation I was prompted to configure the contexts, will this not be an option in the final release of 0.9.7? - I experimented by changing these directories on the install, but nothing seemed to work, the final site either didn’t show or loaded with errors...

More on the magic MODx transport packages, auto-update services, and distribution of both the MODx core and any MODx add-on, content, or even custom data, very soon...
      Now this sounds very interesting, maybe this isn’t the right place for it, but can you post anything about these coming features? - like what exactly is the transport package, and how might the distribution of new add-ons work?
        MODX Ambassador for Thailand. Managing Director at Monogon, a web design and development studio based in Bangkok, Thailand. - Follow me on Twitter.
      • Quote from: Mallmus at Dec 05, 2007, 11:31 PM

So it’ll basically be exactly the same as 0.9.6?
        Not at all; there will be several variations of the main distribution, some with files extacted and already in-place, and some with nothing but the core/ and setup/ directories, plus the core transport package pre-built. There will also be instructions for installing a single core and then using a setup/ directory in each web location to install a new configuration.

Quote from: Mallmus at Dec 05, 2007, 11:31 PM

During the installation I was prompted to configure the contexts, will this not be an option in the final release of 0.9.7? - I experimented by changing these directories on the install, but nothing seemed to work, the final site either didn’t show or loaded with errors...
        It’s an option now and will be then; however, you cannot do this with an SVN checkout of the directories. If you svn export the stuff, build the core transport package, and then delete everything but core/ and setup/, you can have the installer extract the files associated with each context in a specific location (see the checkboxes at installation indicating if the package is extracted, and whether the core files are already in-place). You can also just manually move the directories to where you specify they should be in that configuration page.

The build process is copying all the files for those configurable locations into the core transport; that’s why it’s so big.

Quote from: Mallmus at Dec 05, 2007, 11:31 PM

More on the magic MODx transport packages, auto-update services, and distribution of both the MODx core and any MODx add-on, content, or even custom data, very soon...
        Now this sounds very interesting, maybe this isn’t the right place for it, but can you post anything about these coming features? - like what exactly is the transport package, and how might the distribution of new add-ons work?
        It’s a set of API’s for producing database-independent packages that store serialized data objects (independent of the db platform), dependencies such as files, as well as validation and resolution scripts for handling install/update/uninstall tasks. These packages are in a standard zip format and can be distributed in any number of ways, both manual and with various levels of automation. I am planning a set of RPC-based web services for installations to "subscribe" to for updates or new feature searches. You’ll be able to download and install the packages from within the MODx manager itself.

In addition, this package provider service will work according to a standard protocol that will be detailed and shared (as an add-on itself), so add-on developers can run their own update services.
          • 24,544 Posts
          Whoa!!! Have I died and gone to heaven? grin grin grin

Bob
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • Its 4:42am here, so my minds a blur, but what you said sounds amazing! - it sounds like MODx is well on its way to becoming a very robust web managing application.

A few questions come to mind from what you said (although more probably will when I’m awake)

These packages are in a standard zip format and can be distributed in any number of ways, both manual and with various levels of automation.
            You mentioned these automated and/or manual upgrades, would that mean something like a ’check for updates’ page within your MODx Manager, which would then automatically patch in the new changes? - or would it still require some manual copying via the FTP/SVN?

I am planning a set of RPC-based web services for installations to "subscribe" to for updates or new feature searches. You’ll be able to download and install the packages from within the MODx manager itself.

I’ve played around with the Resource Wizard module but I find its temperamental and tends to work only with some configurations and with/without some snippets - will something like this be built into the core for adding new snippets from the repository?

It would be great if you could install snippets and stuff straight into MODx like you would with a Firefox extension tongue

If you svn export the stuff, build the core transport package, and then delete everything but core/ and setup/, you can have the installer extract the files associated with each context in a specific location (see the checkboxes at installation indicating if the package is extracted, and whether the core files are already in-place). You can also just manually move the directories to where you specify they should be in that configuration page.
            That sounded very complicated, but I think its due to my lack of sleep undecided and I think I’m using the checkout command at the moment, but I’m still prompted to configure the contexts in the installation - to use the export command do I just replace checkout in the command line?

If you leave the ’core files already in-place’ checkbox, you can then manually move the folders to their desired locations? i.e the Manager to a subdomain?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
              MODX Ambassador for Thailand. Managing Director at Monogon, a web design and development studio based in Bangkok, Thailand. - Follow me on Twitter.