We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 576 Posts
    I’m curious how xPDO handles upgrades to a database model. Suppose I wanted to upgrade my application from version 1 to version 2, and version 2 adds a new column (field) to a table. Will I have to manually write my own upgrade script, or can xPDOManager detect the changes and make the necessary alterations to the table? Will this functionality be available in future version of xPDO?

Thanks!
    • Quote from: sirlancelot at May 17, 2007, 05:56 PM

I’m curious how xPDO handles upgrades to a database model. Suppose I wanted to upgrade my application from version 1 to version 2, and version 2 adds a new column (field) to a table. Will I have to manually write my own upgrade script, or can xPDOManager detect the changes and make the necessary alterations to the table? Will this functionality be available in future version of xPDO?

Thanks!
      For the time being, I maintain a SQL upgrade script whenever I alter a model, so I can easily execute it when moving from staging to production; I just store it with my schema.

But, simple schema change management is in development and testing right now. It’s a requirement for the new upgrade process to be completed. The ability to do so was part of the original inspiration for researching the use of object-relational mapping tools with MODx and ultimately developing xPDO.