We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 7,075 Posts
    Not sure I should ask this here, since it’s not a coding question per say, but something I have in mind for clients not hosted on my server who don’t have cutting edge configs and will need upgrading from 0.9.6 to 0.9.7 at some point.

I have read on xPDO’s website that PDO emulation will work from PHP 4.3.x upward. What about MySQL minimal version ? I know xPDO’s website says "Supports any database platform accessible with a PDO driver implementation". That would mean that MySQL 3.x/4.0 is supported by the PDO_MYSQL driver (http://fr.php.net/manual/en/ref.pdo.php). Theoretically it would mean xPDO would run with MySQL 3.x and PHP 4.3.x ? I’d like to be sure that the theory hold up in xPDO’s case.

Reason for asking is, I have a client which requires an upgrade of his server for me to install MODx 0.9.5 (he has PHP 4.3.10-18, Apache/1.3.33 and MySQL 4.0.24) since MODx currently requires MySQL 4.1.x, I thought I might as well avoid him another upgrade later by taking the future into account right now. I don’t remember seing minimal requirements for 0.9.7 : what would that be ?
      .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
    • Quote from: davidm at Feb 28, 2007, 11:18 AM

Not sure I should ask this here, since it’s not a coding question per say, but something I have in mind for clients not hosted on my server who don’t have cutting edge configs and will need upgrading from 0.9.6 to 0.9.7 at some point.

I have read on xPDO’s website that PDO emulation will work from PHP 4.3.x upward. What about MySQL minimal version ? I know xPDO’s website says "Supports any database platform accessible with a PDO driver implementation". That would mean that MySQL 3.x/4.0 is supported by the PDO_MYSQL driver (http://fr.php.net/manual/en/ref.pdo.php). Theoretically it would mean xPDO would run with MySQL 3.x and PHP 4.3.x ? I’d like to be sure that the theory hold up in xPDO’s case.

Reason for asking is, I have a client which requires an upgrade of his server for me to install MODx 0.9.5 (he has PHP 4.3.10-18, Apache/1.3.33 and MySQL 4.0.24) since MODx currently requires MySQL 4.1.x, I thought I might as well avoid him another upgrade later by taking the future into account right now. I don’t remember seing minimal requirements for 0.9.7 : what would that be ?
      Well, I haven’t had the opportunity to test on a lot of different MySQL versions at this point, but it should work fine with MySQL 4.1+, and will probably work with most earlier versions as well, though until someone tests 0.9.7 on earlier versions, I certainly cannot guarantee it’s bug free in terms of xPDO and it’s PDO emulation layer.

As for PHP requirements, 4.3.0, possibly 4.3.3. I haven’t tested any of these specific older versions, so additional testing between 4.3.0 and 4.3.3 should help better establish the exact PHP compatibility point, as well.
        • 7,075 Posts
        Ok thanks for the quick answer Jason, I’ll take that into account smiley
        And report on testing if I get the chance to try servers other than mine (e.g running PHP 5.1.6 and MySQL 5.0.22)...

MODx est l'outil id
          • 4,213 Posts
          I’m running / testing 0.9.7 with this configuration:

• Apache 2.0.46
          • MySQL 4.0.13
          • PHP 4.3.2 + PEAR

And it’s working just fine. grin

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
            • 4,149 Posts
            Fresh 0.9.7 install:

Mac OS X 10.4.8
            MySQL 4.1.7-log
            Apache/1.3.33 (Darwin)
            PHP/5.0.5
            mod_ssl/2.8.24
            OpenSSL/0.9.7l

On a good ol’ G4...and running smooth as silk.
              shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
              • 74 Posts
              Hi,

xPdo was running fine on MySql 4.1.9 but now, on a new install, with the 5.0.27 version, the connection is failing:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception ’PDOException’ with message ’could not find driver’ in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\fkm\manager\xpdo\xpdo.class.php:293 Stack trace: #0 C:\inetpub\wwwroot\fkm\manager\xpdo\xpdo.class.php(293): PDO->__construct(’mysql:host=loca...’, ’root’, ’’, NULL)

I guess I should update my PDO driver, but was not able to find any info about it. Can someone point me to the right direction ?

cheers,

Seb

PS: forgot to mention, I’m running PHP 5.2.0
                • 7,075 Posts
                Yeah well I had some issue when installing the pdo drivers for MySQL 5... this might help you... one message gives a pointer :

You just need to compile pdo_mysql against your mysql5 client
                libraries, it works fine for me.

./configure --with-pdo-mysql=/path/to/mysql5/install/

Also make sure those lines are uncommented in your php.ini

extension=pdo.so
                extension=pdo_mysql.so

Another way to do it is to use PECL, that’s what my server admin did, couldn’t help you there sorry undecided

MODx est l'outil id
                  • 74 Posts
                  ok, I’m not too sure on how to do that.
                  I reversed to my 4.1.9 old version and everything is back to normal now.

thanks,
                  seb
                  • Refer to this thread for more information on the issue of using xPDO when PDO is available but the PDO_mysql driver is not -- http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,11236.msg78764.html#msg78764