We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 194 Posts
    Hi Opengeek, xPDOQuery looks like a valuable addition to the library.

Two issues that keep coming up for me at the moment are:

I’m developing my web site iteratively. The only problem is that every time I regenerate the XML schema, I have to manually copy over all of the relationships. I looked at diff/patch, but that doesn’t work if I’ve altered the type of a column. I was thinking it would be good if relations were stored in a separate XML file which was then merged into the schema upon generation. Therefore I would be free to alter the db as I chose, and provided the column names remained the same, keep the relations intact.

A separate point is what is the best way to specify a default database, user name and password? At the moment, I’ve just added default values to the parameters in the xPDO constructor, but it could be good to have a way of specifying default connection values based on the xPDO package perhaps. I don’t know, it was just a thought...
    • Quote from: redman at Feb 19, 2007, 08:54 AM

Hi Opengeek, xPDOQuery looks like a valuable addition to the library.

Two issues that keep coming up for me at the moment are:

I’m developing my web site iteratively. The only problem is that every time I regenerate the XML schema, I have to manually copy over all of the relationships. I looked at diff/patch, but that doesn’t work if I’ve altered the type of a column. I was thinking it would be good if relations were stored in a separate XML file which was then merged into the schema upon generation. Therefore I would be free to alter the db as I chose, and provided the column names remained the same, keep the relations intact.
      It’s meant to work the other way around. You reverse-engineer a schema once. Then you make changes to the schema first, regenerate your maps, and alter your table structure. In the future, the table structure changes will also be handled automatically if possible.

Quote from: redman at Feb 19, 2007, 08:54 AM

A separate point is what is the best way to specify a default database, user name and password? At the moment, I’ve just added default values to the parameters in the xPDO constructor, but it could be good to have a way of specifying default connection values based on the xPDO package perhaps. I don’t know, it was just a thought...
      PDO allows you to define connections in ini configured files if you want, but no, there is no such thing as a default database, username and password for PDO. I am going to add the ability to manage multiple PDO connections from a single xPDO instance in an upcoming release though, so perhaps part of that will be to have the connection string and credentials associated with a package.
        • 194 Posts
        ahh easy laugh