We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 35 Posts
    Hi,

I am currently using Evolution and have a site built using Evo, but would now like to change to Revolution, how do i uninstall Evo and will i lose any work? Can I then install Rev and continue with the same site (i understand some of the syntax will need to change)

Thank you for any help!

Lisa
      • 863 Posts
      Hi Lisa

You won’t lose anything if you first make a backup of your database and all your files. You can backup the database from within the manager ( Tools > Backup ) and will need FTP software to download all your MODx files and assets to your local machine.

The best thing to do is, if you haven’t already, set up a local development environment on your computer using MAMP (Mac) or WAMP (Windows). Then you can install Revolution and convert and test your site locally without touching the existing site.

As far as I know there isn’t yet a content migration tool to import content from Evo to Revo, so you’ll have to manually create all your pages again and copy and paste the content from your existing site. You could also try out ImportX to import everything from a CSV file.

You might also refer to Bob Ray’s guide to migrating from Evolution. It’s a little out of date but you should still find it useful.

Let us know if you get stuck!
        • 24,544 Posts
        The best migration tool at the moment is the Provisioner extra. Basically, you do a fresh install of Revo, install Provisioner, install the Provisioner gateway in Evo and do the migration from inside the Revo install.

Your Evo site is unchanged. Obviously, you need to install Revo in a separate location or a subdirectory. Once everything is working, you can delete the Evo install (after backing it up) and move the Revo install to the correct location. lucas’ idea for a local install is a good one, though I’d recommend XAMPP.
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting