We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 28 Posts
    Hey MODx Community,

I have been formulating my ideas for a MODx Training Series to help go over some of the real world scenarios we would want to use MODx for; for example, setting clients as lower users as to hide forms and settings, etc. But I have also noticed a struggle still with some of the basics of MODx Revolution. I have posted a blog going into more detail (http://cubed-media.com/modx-tutorial-series-ideas.html), and tell me what kind of training series do you want to see?
      • 20 Posts
      How about training on converting Evo 1.0 website to Revo 2.0? It seems the conversion is going to be a substantial code rewrite on the custom snippets. I was wondering is there a such training can help us to speed up the process.

Charles
        • 3 Posts
        i want to learn modx cms better, because i’m new with the software, but where is the best place to start training?
          • 24,544 Posts
          I think one thing that would really help users get off the ground with MODX is an introduction to MODX tags -- how to use them in templates, page content, Tpl chunks, etc. And how to use properties with them.

An introduction to TVs, what they can be used for, and how to implement them for the various uses is a great idea.

The other thing that users continually struggle with is the security permission system. It’s not all that complicated to use, but it’s quite difficult to explain to users with little experience in security systems.

I think a lot of users would benefit from a good tutorial on using xPDO with MODX objects. It’s relatively easy to explain and to use. It just looks foreign to new users. A second session could cover using xPDO with your own custom tables.

That said, one thing that would *really* help people is a set of good tutorials, all in the same style, explaining how to use common MODX add-ons: Gallery, getResources, FormIt, Login, Quip, Wayfinder, FileUpload, BreadCrumbs, TinyMCE, CodeMirror, etc.
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 28 Posts
            I personally don’t have much experience with Evo so I am not sure how different it is with Revo, but I have heard it is not that drastic. As far as being new to Revo, CodingPad has some really good introductory videos. But if more people ask I can redo some.
              • 24,544 Posts
              Yes, Mary’s work is excellent and your time is probably better spent on things not covered there.
                Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                • 98 Posts
                I suspect that I'm conditioned by my latest challenge, but right now I'd sure appreciate a tutorial showing how to use getResources to get, filter and sort (both ASC & DESC) resources on a date template variable.

Doing this with one of the built-in resource attributes, such as the 'createdon' date, is well explained in one of Mary's Coding Pad tutorials, and it works fine. I can't for the life of me seem to accomplish it with a date TV, however.

My broader recommendation is thus to take a look at the material that existing tutorials cover satisfactorily and then stretch to cover use cases that are one step more difficult / esoteric, yet are still broadly useful.
                  I looked just like that in 1964.