We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 24,544 Posts
    I’m wrapping up the book and and have started wondering about the use of these terms.

I considered just using properties everywhere (as most of the new documentation does), but I think I could make a good case for keeping parameter around for describing the things used to specify a property value in a MODX tag. Parameter is also widespread in older docs, readme files, and the forums.

It’s fairly awkward to have to keep writing "properties in snippet tags" over and over (instead of just "parameters"). In a tutorial where you want the person to change the tag rather than the default properties or a property set, it’s handy to use "parameter."

I see that the Revolution Glossary leaves our parameter entirely, but defines "Property" like this:

A single variable for an Element; used to set a specific parameter for the Element.

That seems to further confuse the issue and it doesn’t fit very well with using properties to set placeholders for a chunk or template. That second usage, IMO, shows that "property" is a fairly loose abstraction because the properties set as placeholders don’t really exist in the same sense that the $showHidden variable exists in a snippet or plugin.

"Parameter," on the other hand, refers to a specific entity used to set property values in a tag (at least as I’ve been using it). It’s also handy when describing plugins and templates to be able to say that, "unlike snippets and chunks, they don’t have tags so their properties can’t be set with parameters."

Any guidance appreciated. tongue
      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
      My MODX Extras
      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
    • We should consistently refer to them as Properties IMO, with a reference from a Glossary term for Parameters indicating archaic usage...
        • 24,544 Posts
        Quote from: OpenGeek at Apr 05, 2011, 09:19 PM

We should consistently refer to them as Properties IMO, with a reference from a Glossary term for Parameters indicating archaic usage...

Thanks. I was afraid you’d say that. tongue

Time to rewrite the 361 references to parameters in the book. laugh
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting