We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 66 Posts
    Hi guys, I’m having a problem with one of my websites where for some bizarre reason I can’t upload any image larger than 2 MB via the Modx Browser. I’m not sure if it’s a bug or not (nothing in Jira). The system specs I could find are at the bottom of the post.

Images smaller than 2 MB will upload and display a thumbnail in the browser just fine (and work fine in modx) but nothing bigger than 2 MB will work. They seem to upload fine but the actual file does not appear either in modx or on the FTP server.

Things I have tested so far:

• System Setting for "upload_maxsize" is set to "104857600" (100 MB) (also confirmed in the database)
    • All packages are up to date
    • The client still has plenty of space available on their hosting environment
    • The directories I’m trying to upload to are set to 755 permission

Can anyone think of anything else I can try?

A big thank you in advance for any help you can give.

MODx Revolution 2.0.8-pl (traditional)
    Apache server
    PHP 5.2.17
      • 24,544 Posts
      Your hosting service may also have an upload size limit and if you’re on a slow connection, the upload could also be timing out.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 1,613 Posts
        jup, ask ur hosting, not all will change that setting thow.
          Evolution user, I like the back-end speed and simplicity smiley
        • You need to increase the limit in php. If you ask your host they can do this for you, or create a custom php.ini file.
            Patrick | Server Wrangler
            About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
            • 66 Posts
            Thanks for your replies smiley

I just tested this by uploading directly to the FTP server but I had no trouble transferring a 2.4 MB file. Tested the same with an 11 MB file, still no dramas, so it only appears to be in effect within the modx file browser.

I’ve attached a screenshot of what it’s doing - basically it seems to be hanging when attempting the upload ("Waiting...")

Anything else you can think of that I can try?

Thanks again.
            • Did you increase the limit in php? Also what hosting company are you using?
                • 24,544 Posts
                Putting this in php.ini might be worth a try:

file_uploads = On
                upload_max_filesize = 10M
                  Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                  Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                  MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                  My MODX Extras
                  Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                  • 1,613 Posts
                  uploading with FTP is something else, there are no filesize limits to that.
                  indeed modx does have a limit on some hosts, but it’s the hostserver setting who has that security set to an max.
                  I don’t know which setting it is.

I had the same problem with two hosts, 1 didn’t wanted to change the limit, the other did to the ammount i liked.

U can also try Bob’s option
                    Evolution user, I like the back-end speed and simplicity smiley
                  • Quote from: fourroses666 at May 25, 2011, 07:38 AM

uploading with FTP is something else, there are no filesize limits to that.
                    indeed modx does have a limit on some hosts, but it’s the hostserver setting who has that security set to an max.
                    I don’t know which setting it is.

I had the same problem with two hosts, 1 didn’t wanted to change the limit, the other did to the ammount i liked.

U can also try Bob’s option

The limit is with PHP and something you can typically increase without support’s interaction. Depending on their configuration you can make a change in your htaccess file, or you will need to create a custom php.ini file. I would recommend using (http://tips-scripts.com/php_ini) to create the custom php.ini file, otherwise all other settings may be lost or broken.

Bob noted the settings you need to change.
                      • 66 Posts
                      Thanks again for your help. I’ve just contacted the host to update the php.ini file as I can’t get to it, and if that doesn’t work I’ll try a .htaccess option.

Will let you know how it goes.