We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 5 Posts
    I notice there are a lot of posts regarding Evolution vs Revolution, but they all seem to be dated to a time when Revolution was in beta. Now that Revolution is up to version 2, what are the advantages of Revolution over Evolution? Is there anything that Revolution cannot do that Evolution can do? I currently maintain my church’s website (www.cohokc.com) in Evolution, but would like to move to Revolution if there are benefits and the change will not "break" anything. Thanks for your help and information in advance!
      • 1,572 Posts
      There’s allot that revo can do that evo cant, and allot that is easier in revo, however I would say that if you don’t need any of the extra things I would stick with evo for now. Although Revo is on version 2 there are far more extras for evo and it will take a while for them to all be ported over to the newer revo.

However saying that, if you don’t mind getting your hands dirty and posting here for anything you need Revo is 10,000 times better than evo.
        • 5 Posts
        The only thing we really use that is part of the modx cms are the chunks for forms with captcha for people to send in emails. Otherwise, everything else is all web based coding. Thank you again for your help.
        • If your website works well, don’t need to be extended and since you don’t know Revolution yet, you should stick to Evolution.
            • 169 Posts
            Is there anything that Revolution cannot do that Evolution can do?

The question should also be: Is there anything that Evolution can do that Revolution cannot?

:YES

A bunch of stuff I am sure, but for one: FRONT END EDITTING
              www.markojokic.com
            • Quote from: markoj at Sep 26, 2010, 12:24 AM

Is there anything that Revolution cannot do that Evolution can do?

The question should also be: Is there anything that Evolution can do that Revolution cannot?

:YES

A bunch of stuff I am sure, but for one: FRONT END EDITTING
              I think the question you are thinking of is: Are there Extras for Evolution that do not yet exist for Revolution. Revolution absolutely "can do" front-end editing, with reusable processors and advanced security options available for any front-end editing component to make use of. So to be concise, no one has yet endeavored to write / share one for Revolution, and if that is a requirement for your project, then stick with Evolution for now until such a component is available for Revolution. Unless of course you feel generous and would endeavor to contribute such an Extra to the Revolution community as part of your project. laugh
                • 169 Posts
                That was much better phrased than what I said for sure.

Don’t take my comment the wrong way please. I hope this is all taken as user-feedback, not complaints.

I know the coding work put into both Evo, and Revo and the extras is invaluable, especially to me as I use it all for free.
                I am not capable of contributing in that way, but if I could I would. You already buried me with the "reusable processors"... heheh.

I totally volunteer myself as a user test group/focus group subject for anyone working on extras. I already am a modx evangelist of some kind.
                  www.markojokic.com